USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:44:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A horrible tragedy, but good can come from it...  (Read 11193 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »

I am sorry if this story I am linking to upsets some people.  That really isn't my intention.

http://ekartingnews.com/news_info.php?n=16111

This is truly a tragic situation, however good can come from it.  If everyone in youth motorsports uses this as a reason to double check all safety equipment, policies and procedures then good can come from it.

As handlers we can take a little more time this week to check the condition of our drivers safety equipment and make sure everything is in good condition.  We could have our drivers practice the fire exit a couple times this week to make sure they still know the quickest way out of their cars.  I am sure others can suggest other things we could all do as well.

Clubs could spend some time this week double checking their policies and procedures and they could spend some additional time in the next driver/handler meeting reviewing some of these procedures to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Basically if everyone in this sport uses this as a reason to go over things and we find one thing that will make our kids safer, then this tragic loss will have some great impacts too.  To see how much of an impact something like this could have, watch the video of Eliot Sadler's crash at Pocono a couple weeks ago and imagine the outcome had NASCAR not made the changes it made after losing Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr and Dale Earnhardt.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:38:39 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

i have been raising awareness to our local club officers that the pre race checks have been way below par. its hot everyone is wanting to rush and get done faster but we need to always take the time to do thorough safety checks. also with the use of head and neck restraints on the rise, all fastening devises on them should be checked. we have a hybrid and to date it has never been checked at club regional or national level. parents always double check your own stuff!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: