USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Curious on one particular rule  (Read 15018 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: August 16, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »

Has the rule I pasted in below been used much at your tracks?  I haven't ever seen it used correctly at our track and I wonder how often other tracks are making this call.  I do remember a few instances of it being used at the National events this year.

On the initial double file start of the race, it is possible to have an incident where
the cause cannot be determined and several cars may be involved. This results
from the close racing of the entire field, accelerating in one corner at the same
time. If the green flag was shown on the initial start, the Chief Steward may
declare a single file restart, with no strikes called or cars sent to the tail if it is not
possible to determine the cause of the incident.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »

Yes we have used this several times in the Ohio area.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »

Yesterday was the first time I remember it at our track but they charged everyone that got caught up in the mess with a strike and put them all to the tail for the single file restart.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »

At ncqma we have used the rule a lot
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »

Do they put all the cars to the rear or do they line back up as they were prior to dropping the green flag?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
lizc456
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

I've seen it used several times.  I know we've used it at Buckeye.  If the chief steward can clearly determine who was at fault, then those cars are given strikes and sent to the tail.  Sometimes, though, particularly if it's a full field, there are so many cars involved that you can't really tell where or how it started.  In that case, it's basically a 'mulligan' and all cars restart straight up with no one getting strikes or going to the tail.  Keep in mind this is ONLY for the initial double-file start. 

Liz Compton
President, BQMRA

Liz Compton
BQMRA
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:17:10 PM »

If they go DOT then they have to go to the tail, as I understand. Am I not correct on this?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »

The way I read the rule is if they declare a single file restart because the incident was just a product of tight racing on the double file restart then nobody gets strikes and nobody goes the tail.

From the rulebook: "If the green flag was shown on the initial start, the Chief Steward may
declare a single file restart, with no strikes called or cars sent to the tail if it is not
possible to determine the cause of the incident."

That is why I am asking on here though to see what other tracks are doing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:14:10 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »

Yesterday was the first time I remember it at our track but they charged everyone that got caught up in the mess with a strike and put them all to the tail for the single file restart.

If you're talking about the Junior Honda race, drivers were warned but were not charged with a strike, Scott.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »

That isn't what we were told by the Race Director.  We were told the four that went to the tail all got strikes.  Either way though, the rule seems pretty clear to me that none of them should have gone to the tail.

It is just another example of the Tampa race officials not knowing the rulebook.  I guess next time I will do what the Sr Honda handlers did earlier in the year and I won't push start my drivers car until they go get the rulebook and review it on the track for 20 minutes to figure out what it says. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »

Nope, I was wrong. Isaak says those cars did get a strike. But the crash happened after they all crossed the start/finish line.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:14:22 AM by CrewChief6 » Logged

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
racecar99
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »

We all know that sometimes there are good calls and sometimes there a bad calls but what I don't understand is why people want to get on this forum and bash thier local track that they race at every weekend? Why not go to the officials at the track after the race and talk to them about the call or problem face to face instead of bringing everyone else into the matter and making the track look bad. If the call would have went your way you would have never thought twice about the way they restarted the race. It is just racing for kids and they learn from all of the calls (Bad or Good).
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »

Hey Racecar99, thank you for your response and generally I would agree with you, but Tampa isn't your typical Quarter Midget track.  Also if you go back and read through the whole thread, I really didn't bash the Tampa track with exception of the one comment about their lack of knowledge of the rulebook (which I have said to their face, so I don't really have a problem putting it here too).  My true intention was to find out how other tracks deal with big incidents that occur in the first turn as a result of tight racing.

I really don't feel like spilling all the dirty laundry on how Tampa is, however keep in mind TBQMRA isn't a non-profit organization or club like most of you are familiar with, it is a for profit business run by the three family members that own the track.  The concerns over how they run their program has been brought to their attention many times by many people and has also been escalated to USAC.  It is what it is and we will all go back there in two weeks for another race because we don't have any other USAC options without driving 8 hours to Atlanta, but hopefully that will change in the future.

I do appreciate the input from those at the other tracks as to how you handle this call.  That is helpful information.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »

We all know that sometimes there are good calls and sometimes there a bad calls but what I don't understand is why people want to get on this forum and bash thier local track that they race at every weekend? Why not go to the officials at the track after the race and talk to them about the call or problem face to face instead of bringing everyone else into the matter and making the track look bad. If the call would have went your way you would have never thought twice about the way they restarted the race. It is just racing for kids and they learn from all of the calls (Bad or Good).

You're right...this is out of hand. This forum is filled with bashing of local clubs.

The guy just asked a question. It's great to talk about things that we don't like so they can be re-evaluated if need be. For the most part this forum is filled with praise and other good things, and yes, occasionally questions are asked about things that people don't agree with. But to me it's far from bashing.

But hey, what do I now, I'm not allowed on my local forum because I encouraged debate. lol
msl1973
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 01:28:41 AM »

We have seen that rule almost every week at OSQMRA. If fault is blaten then a strike is made and that car / cars go to the tail. most of the time it is too tough to call and a single file restart sorts it all out. The only concern is when the drivers figure out that if they get a bad start they can spin and get another shot at it. Not complaining. Love my club, love USAC racing with our friends.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: