USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 4707 times)
bmwalls
Rookie

« on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »

I have a 3 year old grandson, and I am interested in helping him become involved in USAC racing when he becomes of age.  Could anyone help steer me in the right direction as to what I should do first and when I should do it?  We live in Western North Carolina and I was thinking maybe next year to sign the family up in the North Carolina .25 Midget Club.  Also, what direction should I be looking towards as far as getting a cart lined up for him etc.  His father is an excellent mechanic and has built racing engines in the past.  Also, my 3 yr old's great-grand father, which is my father, was an excellent stock car driver many years ago, so I think it runs in the bloodline.  I would appreciate any info I could get on this since I am really unfamiliar with USAC.  Thanks
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »

start going to races at your local track. talk to people and you will realize quarter midgets have some of the best people you could ever meet. we went to races for nearly a year before getting our first car, and everyone was willing to help with any questions we had.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:01 AM »

Visit the club and start talking to members. Usually the rookie program will have some material for you to access to help with training the kid when the time comes. Depending on how fast you want to take things, check out cars and start reading up and learning about set ups and general mechanics. It's never too early to start. We started one of our drivers out at three in a closed parking lot with no throttle, just the car idled high.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: