USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:50:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Classifieds  (Read 10960 times)
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« on: June 25, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »

Sure looks like a lot of cars for sale and not alot of interested buyers asking questions. What is up (or down) with the QM market?
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »

economy
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »

Sell my Stanley for me then!  Grin

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »

I think it's more because newcomers aren't looking for big dollar cars. Locally I know four or five turnkey cars for $1,500 or less. Those are the cars that are going to sell right now. With most of the current updates being something can can be retrofitted on an old car the high dollar new cars are going to have trouble selling. Especially when someone could get an extra thousand dollars and buy a brand new car compared to what some of these older cars are listed for.

Seems like these things depreciate in value about like a real car does.
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

Consumer confidence down! It's ok though....it's time to reduce the government footprint!!!! Vote in Nov!
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »

ssssmoke you had had a good start, economy,managment,personal agendas. This is killing this sport. When it gets back to being fun for the kids and parents car counts will begin to grow.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:43 PM »

Well maybe we overpayed for the car and therefor over value it now?

We paid $4000 for the car and pit cart and spares/tools when we started in 2007. That was for a 2005 Storm/Sr. Honda that had finished 2nd in Sr. Honda the year before we bought it. Then in the process of running it for two years updated the shocks all around ($700) and added a Mychron ($350) and more spares.

My feeling was buying a used racecar would result in less depreciation than buying a new race car.

-Eric

I think it's more because newcomers aren't looking for big dollar cars. Locally I know four or five turnkey cars for $1,500 or less. Those are the cars that are going to sell right now. With most of the current updates being something can can be retrofitted on an old car the high dollar new cars are going to have trouble selling. Especially when someone could get an extra thousand dollars and buy a brand new car compared to what some of these older cars are listed for.

Seems like these things depreciate in value about like a real car does.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »

Well maybe we overpayed for the car and therefor over value it now?

We paid $4000 for the car and pit cart and spares/tools when we started in 2007. That was for a 2005 Storm/Sr. Honda that had finished 2nd in Sr. Honda the year before we bought it. Then in the process of running it for two years updated the shocks all around ($700) and added a Mychron ($350) and more spares.

My feeling was buying a used racecar would result in less depreciation than buying a new race car.

-Eric

I don't know if it's necessarily an over valuation. What I often see is under valuation on cars for sale at the local level hurting the sale of higher dollar equipment. I know what these things cost and what we all put into them and I can guarantee there isn't a single person trying to sell a car for anywhere near what they have in it (well, I do know of one, but that's a rare case) but it's hard to get 3-4k out of ANY car when you can find 1900s around all day long for 1500-2k.

I will attest to the fact that a 1900 isn't the best equipment one can pick up, but I don't see a lot of development with these cars. There probably hasn't been a necessary innovation in the sport in the last 5-10 years that can't be added to 90% of the cars out there to make them just as competitive. Shocks are probably the hot ticket item that you're going to get more of a percentage return than anything else right now.

When we got into this we looked at a couple Stanley's and thought about buying them seriously, but as we were new we didn't want to go that high in price until we were sure what we were getting in to. We ended up paying 2k for a Pro 2000 with a truck bed full of practice tires and spares of enough to replace every piece on the car including the motor. People we knew who were racing hounded us endlessly about buying an older car, telling us we shouldn't expect to win with the car we decided to get. We dialed the car in over the course of the first three races of the season and once we hit it we went on a hot streak. Won 5 local features, the Haynes Apperson Race, and the Down'N'Dirty Sr.Honda race at Kokomo against almost all of the best in the class with a rookie driver.

We've ran a newer Bullrider this season and as of now we're in the process of switching back to the Pro car, which has been sitting in the garage all season. We've left it sit because we would be very hard pressed to sell it knowing . I know that the price it would sell for would be insultingly low to us and that the price we want out of it would be insultingly high to anyone interested in purchasing it.
ssssmoke
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

agree burns. these cars are all steel frames, its what time and detication you put into them to make them the fastest they can be. its all in how much you want to spend. plus whats better than seeing an old 1900 beat ceramic,titanium and billet! lol
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »

Exactly lol. I would have to check to be sure who had the most wins, but I think the girl who picked up the most Sr.Honda wins last season was running a 1900 with just a minor RR shock mount modification.

I won't knock anyone for buying top of the line brand new equipment, but I just feel like the time put into it will be more of an indicator of how well it performs. We don't sink near the money into our cars as a lot of teams, but spending three or four hours a night talking QMs and working on them and just thinking up ways to make it better makes up for it.

Our Bullrider looks much cooler than the Pro car or the 1900 but out of the three I think it's probably the most temperamental and has the least amount of options adjustment wise and it's at least four or five years newer than the other two. With money being tight with a lot of people, I just see a lot of people looking for the car with potential that just needs some times spent dialing it in and getting it fast than just buying a turn key winning car for sometimes twice the price.
ssssmoke
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:22:58 PM »

we bought an extreme roller with two sets of g2 tanners for 1500.00 and it has 1 national feature win and a runner up at the brickyard and several local features. still dreaming about that new car though!!!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: