USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting tires: did you know?  (Read 8765 times)
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« on: June 25, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »

I just learned this past week from the Hoosier rep at the Disney race that when we mount a new tire for the first time, we have to make sure the little barcode sticker facing out, and the stamp with letters/numbers need to be inside, facing the car.

He said it's something to do with the sidewall construction. After the tires get one heat cycle in, you can mount it any which way you want, but he said it's important to do it with barcode sticker facomg out the first time.

I had never heard this before, so I thought I'd share.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »

so the side wall changes after a heat cycle?
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »

Not clear on the specifics, but according to the rep, the sidewall needs a heat cycle to "set," then after that, it can be mounted either way.

Any Hoosier folks out there who can clarify?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »

We were told by the local dealer not only that but to never run a race on fresh sets. They said it's best to get them heated in a practice session and then let them cool.

What we were told is the original batch of 35's were not like this but a few weeks into last season the local dealer said something to everyone about making sure the barcode was facing out even if the letters were not on that side.
justracin
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

this real important to do on a 160 you will split the tire if you dont , we split two last year and one this year before we found out hoosier said they would send me new ones (still waiting) but not complaining
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »

The only truth behind the bar code is that Hoosier does their testing by placing the bar code to the outside to be consistant. There is no truth behind the sidewall rumor. This comes straight from the Hoosier Company.
WingNut
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »

Taken from: http://www.hoosiertire.com/safetywarning/index.htm

DIRECTION OF ROTATION/MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS

ROTATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR TIRES WITH DIRECTIONAL ARROWS
All Hoosier tires having directional arrows must be mounted so that the tire travels in the direction of the arrow. Hoosier tires having directional arrows will have them on both sidewalls.  Directional arrows may not be on a tire that can have both a left and/or right side application. All Hoosier tires not having directional arrows should be mounted as detailed below.

ROTATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR TIRES WITHOUT DIRECTIONAL ARROWS
Every Hoosier race tire has a four character serial code embossed into ONE sidewall of the tire. All Hoosier DOT tires will also have two additional codes as required by the Department of Transportation. (Example: J7AB 4AX8 3709)

CIRCLE TRACK RACING TIRES: (Includes both dirt and asphalt tires)
Hoosier tires must be mounted with the serial code located toward the infield.

Note that the code is put toward the infield, and not necessarily toward the car as stated in previous posts
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:41:13 AM by WingNut » Logged
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »

But that's a general guideline for all of their tires. Seeing as how Hoosier dealers have told me Hoosier has said to initially mount with the barcode out, I am inclined to believe that's how it should be mounted.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: