USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Raceceiver - QMA's view  (Read 29453 times)
justracin
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »

race recievers are a good thing to have line ups are fast , it helps with cautions,allin all it makes the day go faster and saves money buy letting the drivers no the caution is out so they look for the wreaks and slow down . at are tracks they also tell the driver green,green ,green so no one car gets a jump. the down side is when they talk to your driver under green ,(yes this does happen)when it happened to us we went from third to last .dont tell my driver where to run on the track he knows were his car is handling  best
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »

Average lap time on an average track we'll say 6 seconds, some lots faster. Driver can actually see the flagman for about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the track. That equals to 1.5 to 2 seconds of time the driver has to recognise a yellow flag. Throw in passing cars, a little bumping, reaction time of flagman, etc. cuts into that time. How can a raceiver not help? If a raceiver takes away from visual skills then the driver and handler need to do some work.
 I have heard one of the reasons some of the QMA big shots dont like raceivers is because the line ups after a caution are faster. Doesnt give them enough time in the hot chute to work on their junk.

Personal agenda > commom sence

Most tracks and racing organizations across the US mandate the use of raceivers.

QMA will have them mandatory next year.     
MMRAracer
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »

Thanks everyone for all your advice and replies. I will forward this to Rich and see what can be done to get him to understand.

With everything that USAC has done to make quarter midget racing so much better I can only hope the club really looks at USAC for the 2011 season and beyond. Many at the club feel that we were mislead by many of the older members with personal agendas.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »

Just curious. Why don't you run USAC instead of trying to fix other sanctioning bodies?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »

Sounds like they wanted to, but others in power at the club didn't want to.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »

My driver has been in 2 wrecks since the racievers.  The yellow, yellow yellow voice came in after my driver had relied on the voice ...... The voice came in a full 1/2 lao after t he wreck.  My point is you cannot count on that.  Drivers need to be alert and should NOT count on the voice for letting them know whats ahead.  So while there may be some advantage for wrecks, the drivers need to be alert and taught to look ahead , react , avoid.   Maybe wrong words, but you get the idea.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »

Receiver is great, but drivers have to remember to still pay attention to the flag/lights.

We've found that the raceiver sometimes resets itself to "0000" when it's bumped or jostled. And the driver won't have any warning that's happened. Clipping it on the car is probably not a good idea because of this. Try velcro-ing it to the helmet.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »

Lyra,   I would assume that you have the yellow raceceiver? The blue model always defaults to the USAC channel. We also find that it is best to put a new battery in each weekend so that we never have a battery going dead.

It is also a good idea to remove the battery at the end of the weekend. I have seen some cheap batteries go bad and cause problems to the raceceiver.

Just a few things we have learned.
Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »

Hey Eric, thanks for tips.

We do have the yellow, two of them. New "brand name" batteries every race day. But we'll have to make sure we take the batteries out when we're done.

We even sent them back to Raceiver to have them check them out, and all was normal, so we concluded the bumps somehow reset them.

We'll have to look at the blue one if we keep on having problems, but so far (knock on wood) we've been ok since we started to keep them off the cars.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »

"The voice came in a full 1/2 lao after t he wreck" - This sounds more like a problem with your race director and/or race officials than with the Raceivers.  Earlier this year, my driver was in turn two when two cars crashed in turn 4 and the race officials never threw the yellow flag, never turned on the lights and didn't announce the caution over the radio.  The car right in front of my son piled into the wreck and collected AJ in the mess with him and then they threw the caution.  Was the Yellow Flag and lights at fault for that happening?  No, and as handlers and fathers, several of us made our feelings crystal clear to the flagger and race director about how their lack of reaction put children at more risk than needed to be!  I also talked to my driver about what happened and how he might avoid it in the future.

"Drivers need to be alert and should NOT count on the voice for letting them know whats ahead...the drivers need to be alert and taught to look ahead , react , avoid." - Has anyone proposed going to Raceivers and then stop teaching our kids to be alert and to react?  These are basic things that need taught to any drivers regardless of whether they have Raceivers or not.  If a driver isn't reacting to accidents in time because of the Raceivers then is that really a problem with the Raceiver?  No, it is a problem with the driver that the handler should resolve it ASAP.

Just my two cents...  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:22:48 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »

It's an extra. If someone condones their driver relying solely on the raceciever that is wrong. It's not going to save everything. It's not going to be the catch all. It's an extra way to alert wrecks. I would say it's biggest purpose is lineups.

Throughout the year we've seen a lot of instances where they come unplugged or the batteries die and most times you don't even notice because the driver adjusts accordingly. On top of telling the drivers where they need to be on the radio the flagman still signals with the flags as usual.

It's an extra route to make racing more safe and efficient and while I usually will hear anyone's point of view and consider what they say anyone who argues that this device makes racing less safe is just plain wrong. If you feel your driver relies on it too much work to make him more observant.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:38:59 PM by RBurns17 » Logged
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »

Freitas ... Not sure if you just like to argue or what.... but we are agreeing.... that's basically what I meant.  After reading some other comments and watching some kids race, including my own, we all must make sure that the drivers (and handlers) don't get a false sense of security in the device.  The radio is just another way of trying to help make the sport safer...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: