USAC Racing Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Setting Ackerman  (Read 7569 times)
odogracing
Veteran

« on: June 09, 2010, 07:44:07 AM »

I'm looking for some information regarding how to check Ackerman on a quarter midget.  Can some please point me in the right direction?  Is there a specific tool required for this?

Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »

Oh lord. What a can of worms. Best idea, don't worry about ackerman. You will be limited to the adjustments that the spindles and steering column allow. Just make sure that the toe, caster and camber ore right. Drag on the straights is killer. If you can push the front wheels over a piece of newspaper without tearing it or bunching it up you are probably ok. If you are running low power classes like 120 put the hardest tire you have on the left front.
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »

what are some suggested camber numbers?  I know there are a lot of factors, but how about a base?  I never heard of the news paper trick, but that's really pretty cool.

Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »

Depends on the track and class. A good start would be 0 left and 3 right. If its too hard for the driver to stay on top of give him more. If he does fine with it take the left to -2 and seee how big his eyes get.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: