USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Powder Coating Wheels........Does it really????????  (Read 11642 times)
odogracing
Veteran

« on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »

I have been having a blast powder coating wheels and just about anything else I can get my hands on.  It's just too much fun!  The question is, are there really any benefits to running a powder coated wheel besides it looking DARN GOOD?  I have been personally doing some reading on this topic.  So my findings are as follows: some say that running an alum wheel causes tires to come up to operating temp longer.  This because, as we know alum dissipates heat.  Being the wheel constantly dissipates heat throughout the race; the tire temps tend to be some what inconsistent.   Powder coating wheels acts as an insulator to the wheel thus helping it hold it's heat.  This results in tires coming up to operating temp quicker and maintaining this temp longer.  Whether or not this is the case, I can not confirm?  I have never personally tested this.  But it does really make sense.  I think for now, I'll remain sold on the "THEY JUST LOOK DARN GOOD" aspect of this.  If there really is a benefit, well that's great too.  OK, now for the plug...... if anyone is interested in getting their wheels (or anything else powder coated), and not having to pay that ridiculous "$150" minim charge they always throw at you.  Tons of colors to choose from.  As for reducing lap times?  Well, I'll let you be the judge of that. 

Tim
O'Dog Racing
maverick1090@gmail.com

racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »

Aren't teams not allowed to treat tires? If you can't use stuff like Track Tac, why would powder coating be okay?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

Powder coating is not for tires. It's a painting method for metal, in this case for wheels. It's a special way to apply paint to metal so it sticks and won't flake off (as much) compared to regular spray paint. Like the paint finish on the quarter midget roll cage. It bonds the paint (which comes in powder form) to the metal. Thus called powder coating.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »

Oh OK. Like what they do to lawn furniture. Got it. But reduces track time? Hmm.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

So, Tim, how much does it cost to get a wheel powder-coated?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »

Give me a call 706-372-4480 and we can discuss a price you feel is fair.  Always willing  to takecare of any fellow Quarter Midget racer.  Just depends on color choosen and wether you want dual coating?  When you double coat it will make the coating thicker, so if you have to touch it up with spray after a crash you can see it more.  Just a single shot works great, it allows for touch up to be not as visible.  Just my opinion, we can do what ever it is you want.  Oh yeah, I really pefer the tires be dismounted, I hate tire wrestling!!

lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »

Being the performance director with Mercedes Benz, we powder coat wheels for durability. In my opinion, especially a small quarter midget wheel and 30-40 laps, I  do not see a advantage  of powder coating for temperature control or air pressure control. Powder coating will get curb rashes like any other wheel, and the temperature , air pressure difference is minimum. If you are concerned about tire pressure inversion, run Nitrogen in your tires, nitrogen is proven; no temp inversions, pressure the same after 1 lap or 100 laps.. also keep in mind you are now adding wieght to the wheel with coating giving more upsprung wieght ,  the only proven coating that keeps temperatures down is ceramic coating, we also do ceramic coating on many AMG cars that we install headers in. We ceramic coat the stainless headers to keep them cooler and is proven. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:23:56 AM by lawsonracing » Logged

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

Well, considering you can powder coat and entire chassis twice and gain less than 3/4's of a pound, I wouldn't waste too much time be concerned about the weight of powder coated wheels.  By the way, what exactly is unsprung weight?  If someone is willing to validate this theory and post the results, I will powder coat a set of wheels for free.  Otherwise, right now I'm charging $50 a set, $40 dollars a set for 3 or more sets. 

Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »

Theory? Really dude? Unsprung weight is that portion of a vehicle that is not supported by the suspension (i.e. wheels, axles, tires and brakes) and therefore most susceptible to road shock and cornering forces.
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »

Actually I was referring to the original post of whether or not coating controls tire temp, but thanks for the explanation. 

clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »

I'm willing to bet that an ice cream cone bought at the right time will have a much greater effect in lap consistancy than powder coating wheels.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »

We can test that theory in the FL heat next week at Disney, but we better roll in a Brinks truck if we are buying the ice cream at Disney World. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: