USAC Racing Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: hoosier tires  (Read 12694 times)
skarnes
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »

With this being my first year in quarter midgets and trying to learn everything could someone tell me if the dimples are gone on our tires and the handlling of the car has went away over night and we have 6 races on these tires not including practice in between,Could this be normal wear or is the car set up wrong?Or maybe grinding them wrong?  Thanks
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »

I would say that you got your moneys worth and more out of that set of tires. They will usually go away before you cant see the dimples anymore.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »

Yeah. I would say no matter what class you're running you've used them up especially if the dimples are gone. The only time I have seen tires last much longer is in Jr.Rookie and the driver didn't push the gas much.

One thing to watch is if the dimples aren't too worn down and the tires don't seem to be working then look at the tire and see if it has a white hue to it. If so the tires need cleaned and ground and it will bring some life back into them. We ran into problems with the tires sealing over when it got warm. It seemed like anytime we got the tires real hot as they would cool you could see a white film form over them.
badnews69
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »

we flip them after 4-5 races , seems to do ok.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »

So how many people are bolting on new tires every race?  From what I see on here, it seems like most people are not bolting on new sets, but at our track it seems like everyone is bolting on brand new tires every race.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
skarnes
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

Thanks for the info on the tires,We bolted on a35s for the last 2 indoor races and 4 outdoor races not including practice and i was wondering why the car changed over night,The car went from being pretty fast to running at the back and spinning out.It was really hard for me to watch and i kept blaming him.Now i know i better learn more about tires.  thanks again. Steve
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »

Just a question.  Our fronts seems to wear pretty evenly, although I feel we are pushing into the turn, just because of the line we are running.

The rear uses about 3/4 of the tire, less to the outside than the inside. 

What I am hearing is , if you flip the tire over, that type wear is normal on the rear at least, inside wears less to outside.  Is that really normal or can I get more even wear on the RR? 
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »

IT WEARS THAT WAY BECAUSE OF STAGGER
Griffin Brown Racing
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »

I have a set of A35 tires that I put on some time before Columbus Indoor!!!!!!!!!!
They have about 5 Columbus indoor heats/races plus alot of lower mains D,C,B's in lt 160,also 1 Animal race. Then we ran Senior Animal @ Atlanta, North Carolina,and now 2 club races at Kokomo on them,and the car seems to still be pretty good. Wink Wink Wink
Also never flipped the tires.

Scott Brown

--------------------sponsors----------------------------------
Baker Racing Engines
Orr Motorsports (for all your motorsports needs)
Klotz Lubricants
Covington Coney's
Moore @ Associates
Brute Power Pipes ---www.brutepipes.com
One Stop Auto
Whitley Welding & Fabricating
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:55 AM »

WOW, two nationals, two weekly races plus a bunch of heats/mains at the indoors on one set of tires without even flipping them.  How about others, are you able to go multiple events like that or are you having to bolt on new tires every race?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »

We have ncqma and Atlanta nationals also two weekly races on the same set of rights sides
skarnes
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

Wow our car must be set up wrong or something because i just took the right rear off last night and it was so thin and it was reading over 70 on the tire durometer and that was 6 races and some practice.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »

Just curious, are you guys grooving or siping tires or are you just running them as they are?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »

Tires are run as is from hoosier
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »

Scott, from what I'm seeing, grooving, and especially, siping, shortens the life of the tires. I get a race and a couple of practices on a set... if I'm lucky. But remember, Tampa track is pretty brutal on tires. We ran at Atlanta last week and tire wear seemed much less than Tampa.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: