USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:18:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: sfi ban of impact  (Read 17236 times)
gadams
Veteran

« on: March 28, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »

Does anyone know how sfi problems with impact safety gear is going to affect quarter midget racing? Are we all going to have to buy new belts, helmets, suits, etc.
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »

USAC IS working on a solution as we speak. Not looking real good if you have Impact products.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »

As with most things this all comes down to how big the check will be.  If Impact writes a big enough one, I would bet that SFI backs down from the threats to decertify.  If you Impact gear it is probably a good idea to research replacements and line things up so you can order quickly, but I would wait until closer to the date before actually doing anything.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
PBCorreaRN
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »

Whats going on with impact?? We have all impact stuff!!!
deerbybow
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »

sfi is claiming that Impact has engaged in countfeit(http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news-sfi) tagging of certain sfi safety gear.  it is stated on sfi's website and will be decertifying Impact racing as of 90 days from March 24, 2010. Basically allowing use up till June 21, 2010.  This affects every race sanctioning body.  sfi regulates most all of our fire retardant gear and most recently the smaller sized, made for younger driver helmets.  most adult helmets are snell approved and may not be affected by the sfi ratings currently under decertification consideration.  they are asking Impact to provide a full refund but will be up to them as to what they do.  they are appealing and denying the allegations by SFI.  i can tell you that at our Novice School today, we checked three items with sfi tags against an Impact tag and there was a substantial difference in the printed tags that Impact had.  Hope that helps, but it will be a wait and see as it develops type deal.  SFI is supposed to comment back tomorrow soo I guess search and read all that is out there. It is the lates buzz. safe race season to all!  by the way, the Impact helmets we looked at today all had snell tags. 
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »

Here is the links to the articles
http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=2991

http://www.sfifoundation.com/
WingNut
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

The SFI press release does not list the youth helmet spec (24.1) in the list of items that will be decertified.  Looks like you could have trouble with suits, gloves, belts, and neck collars made by Impact.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »

I wonder if the enxt ahmmer to fall could be the snell as well.....  Sorry for the rhime....
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »

I don't think there is a check big enough to fix this problem. Impact better be writing me a check for all the equipment I'm no longer going to be able to use.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »

Did any one see the note below the Impact announcement.  If SFI labels are only good for 2 years, then I would assume legally the belts would be fine.  Legally a ruling to replace the belts when the belts no longer carried a valid SFI label (beyond the 2 years) would be within reason.

March 16, 2010 - SEATBELT RECERTIFICATION DATE CLARIFICATION

Recently you may have seen information circulating which states that the SFI standard for driver restraint assemblies has recently changed with respect to recertification/expiration dates. Please be advised this is INCORRECT and the SFI Spec has NOT changed in this regard. SFI Spec 16.1 has always required that the useful life of the webbing in the straps shall not exceed two years from the date of manufacture and it must be replaced at or before that time. Only the original manuacturer can reweb an assembly prior to recertifying.

lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »

thank godness we use G Force products, they are high quality and no issues

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »

It's not looking good for Impact. I guess we'll have to order new belts from Simpson.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

We should hear more by Monday.  There is a hearing today.  On the other QM site, they are indicating that SFI is retesting or testing Impact equipment now.  I think by sometime next week things should be a little clearer.
SAKMotorsports
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »

TEAM SIMPSON RULES     Cool Cool
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »

Just for info to everyone who may be considering buying new equipment to replace their Impact. Please see me next week at the Metro track for I will have a rep here from Stand 21 that has a great product. Not only do they have a great product, but unlike any other company we use in .25 racing, they come to the tracks and monitor their products and make sure we use it right and help with any tech support. They have been around for about 50 years +/- and have a showroom right across the street from our track here at MAQMA. When fitting Chandler, the rep came over one day and watched him practice for a little while just to make sure he was comfortable and that I used the equipment properly. I know of no other company that has done this since we started .25 or QMA racing.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: