USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Heat races, semi races, and feature races  (Read 11597 times)
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« on: March 22, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »

Can someone that really knows how this system works explain. Give me a for instance if you have 20 cars registered for a JR. event. How do you get to the A main, how do you know what heat race you are in, what is the semi? How do you know if you have advanced to another race? I have found nobody that can tell me this.

Thanks,
GAQMRacers
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »

Why don't they do single car qualifying? They mention qualifying in the rules and how many laps you get, etc. Just wondering....
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »

Do not have a clue. I am sure it works out but I just don't know how the system works. As I see it, with the peel draw, you could end up with all the fastest cars in one bracket, which gives some of the others a chance, but I bet in the long run, the cars that think they should have been in the Main Feature race will start not showing up anymore. Hope not but just my gut feeling. Again, I am sure the system works but I do wish someone who knows how it works would speak out. It is just the luck of the draw.

Thanks,
GAQMRacers
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »

your views are mine as well which is why we most likely aren't going to NC this weekend. I want to see how it all shakes out first. I'm of the opinion that by doing one car qualifying the "like" cars are in heat races together, then the fastest and/or better drivers/handlers race up. I can't get a handle on how drawing a number can get you a fair chance....plus NO PRACTICE??? Why is that?Huh?
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »

Yes the practice is someway bothers me. Every person has the same opportunity to either get off and go practice on Friday or choose not too. If someone can do this than I think it is great for the child. I do understand that there are a lot of people out there that can not either. We will be there on Thursday but can not go to the track until noon on Friday. I can not complain, we are blessed to be able to do what we do. I just want everyone to come and have a good time and meet new friends. As long as we come home in one piece and meet some new friends I will be satisfied. Afterwards I hope to be able to understand the draw better.

Thanks,
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »

At the Gen Next races and here with Midwest Thunder heat starting positions are set by pill draw. Using your example with 20 cars in a class, I'd say there would be 3 heat races with top 6 in PASSING POINTS transfering to A-main. The next 6 in passing points would be locked into the B and the remaining in the C. Top 4 finishers from the C (no passing points) transfer to B, top 4 finishers from B transfer to A main.

You have to race your way into the A main.
 More racing = More track time = Better Drivers    

In single car qualifying there is still luck of the draw. If its straight pill, and your first out in JR Honda, your screwed. If it goes by first registered last out, those who cant take off work to be first in line are at a dis-advantage. If its last to register last out, it makes a nitemare for the poeple working sign ins because everybody is waiting till the last minute. The passing points deal evens it all out.
 I wanted to see Friday practice also but after hearing we probably wouldnt see it untill most schools are out for summer, I'm fine with it.
I
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:35:57 PM by clouse55 » Logged
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

Qualifying takes time, can be very inconsistent depending on cloud coverage, and sometimes you will see people qualify very fast and then run like junk. There are just a lot of tricks people use to qualify fast.

We only qualified once last season, which was a fun race, and we qualified great. But I still prefer the pill draw.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

So, how do you know what heat race you would be in? I understand what you are saying is that the top two in each heat race would advance to the A Main, the top two to the B Main, and the other 8 to the C Main, basically like QMA. But, with the peel draw, say what people might think of as the favorite 6 cars in the field signed up and are for the luck of the draw race in the same heat, then 2 of them will go to the A, two of them will probably go to the B, and the other two to the C, but they would still have to finish in the top 4 in each heat to transfer. Is this somewhat close?

Thanks,
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »

You'll know what heat race your in after everyone is registered and you are placed into your heat from low number to high.
 And not necessarily will 2 go from each heat, (even though it mostly works that way), it would be top 6 in PASSING POINTS.
 Your "favorite" 6 cars are going to have to race their way in just like everyone else, heats, transfers, (B,C,D's) then to A.   
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »

I think you guys might be over thinking it. Smiley  Clouse summed it up nicely.  It isn't really based on where they finish in the heat race, it is based on how many points they get in the heat race.  For example if my son starts on the pole in the heat race and goes on to win, he will get 55 points for the heat race.  If your son starts 10th, but finishes in third place, he would earn 56 (49 for third and 7 for passing 7 cars) points for the heat and be seeded higher than my son for the mains.  It really takes the luck out of it and makes the kid earn it on the track.

Have you guys heard that there will be practice on Friday?  I thought the track was going to be closed.  If the track will be open for practice, that might change our travel plans a little bit.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

I understand why the passing points are in play, my only concern is that kids may do more shoving/bumping and creates a condition where kids drive rough.  It would be an advantage for older kids, younger kids dont have the same thought process as the older ones and would be less likely to use the bumper.

What have others experienced?
phaster
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

More  racng equals better drivers don't know about everywere else we race better than we qualify so I like the format a lot of people have cars that can  turn a quick lap but don't race at that pace and the drivers don't learn to drive in traffic no such thing as a quarter midget career just great lessons for the next steps in their lives
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:01 AM »

Older kids that have more experience will always have an advantage.  That is what it is and will never change. 

By qualifying you may put a kid that got lucky and laid down one good lap in front of a field of older/more experienced drivers and what do you think is going to happen?  I think that does more to create a situation where someone may be getting shoved/bumped and causing rough driving.

Teach them now to race their way into the features.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
jdracing
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:01:58 PM »

If you read the flyer it says practice saturday 9:30 nothing friday
JMW23
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »

This is now the second year for this and it works fine without qualifying. The fast kids will get up front if they get a bad draw. Some times you get a good draw sometimes bad it will equal out over time. Do not let this from stopping you from running because imo you will like the program as a whole. If you have 125 cars it has gotten done in 1 day by 6pm even with practice session in AM.  Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: