USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: One-way hub bearings  (Read 10009 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: February 18, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »

For those that use one-way hubs, how often do most find they need to replace the one way bearings?  We have a few of a certain brand of hubs that hardly made it through a year and was wondering if that is about the normal life for these things.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »

Be very carefull after you get the bearings out of the case and pop out the INNER (between the bearings) seal. Wash out bearings really good then re-pack with a good moly grease. Work bearing back and forth and spin it to get extra grease spun out then pop seal in. When you put the bearing back in (and helps taking it out) warm up case with a propane torch so bearing falls in. Mine was freshly serviced before we came down there last year and had to do it again when we got home (sand). Thats probably what your seeing.     
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »

Will try that out.  Thanks!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »

But what's considered normal for wear & tear on the one way bearings? Do they typically last a race season? Or longer?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »

We had one we bought used, two years old, and used it for three years. Sold it the beginning of last year and as best I know it stll works well. Others, not so much. The dogs inside that make them work are plastic.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »

Interesting! Thanks, Swartz. I guess our Florida boys are just SOL for durability with the sand issue.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »

The Sprauge (one way) bearings are sealed units. If they are getting sand inside there is a bigger issue. We used ours on dirt with no problem.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »

Hmm. Good to know.....

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

I inspected the hubs pretty good this weekend and they are sealed really good, however nothing is sealed good enough for Florida sand.  It is nothing like any dirt racing surface I have seen anywhere.

I will try to clean and re-lube the bearings this week and see if that works.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »

We had 3 years on all 4 of ours with no issues between any of them.

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »

Tonight I pulled one of the hubs apart and there was some sand inside the one way bearing.  Like I said before, I haven't seen any seal good enough to keep all the Florida sand out.  Won't get to try the hub on the car until the weekend, but it seems to be working really well already just from being cleaned out.

The bearing in this hub has 14 metal wedges that bind up causing the bearing to lock up in one direction and tiny little springs that press on the wedges.  It is a pretty cool design.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: