USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Weights and Placement  (Read 27278 times)
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »

That's true only if you are travling in a straight line. And on a tractor trying to overcome the torque trying to lift the front. Give the driver a steering wheel and put some banking in front of him and all hell breaks loose. In a left turn on about every track the weight transfers from left rear to right front and then loads the right rear. I say take away the steering wheel.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »

Weight does transfer to corners but not directly from LF to RR or LR to RF. Your right, in a turn weight transfers to the RF first (LF to RF transfer), but not from the LR, thats done with cross or dynamic cross, then loads the RR (front to rear transfer), 2 seperate actions. If there was braking before the corner you would have transfer from rear to front first. Ya, I know, took me awhile to think differently.

Pulling tractor example was just a funny, but actually all realitive.       
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »

Well crap. Now you want to give them brakes. Be easier to stick with the tractor.
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »

New Q as it relates to wieght........we just started running light WF and some of the guys are adding wieght above the minimun buy as much as 30#'s. What is your opinion on running over wieght or should you be able to get the grip with out the extra wieght.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »

Lighter is faster but it don't matter if it won't turn or stay on the ground. Do what ya gotta.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »

Should you periodically check spring force/rates to make sure they have not changed over time?   I have never had to in the past, but driver is just now getting competitive so things that I never messed with before, I now have to be concerned with.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »

While the spring "rate" will not change the installed height will due to repeated compression cycles. If you are checking the ride heights and adjusting when needed there will be no problem.
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Swartz...NO! LOL  I would never purposely add more weight than is needed.  Certainly not anymore above the required weight if I can help it.  In my son's Hvy Hnda and Hvy 160 we normally cross the scales between 326 and 328.  I keep it tight!  we will have a problem in the Sr Animal this year because with NO weight in the car he will be about 318-320.  Nothing I can do about it.  Wanted him to run Hvy WF, but he said he would rather run the Animal class.  Just wish we had a Hvy Animal class as well! 

Always...if at all possible, stay as close as you can to legal weight.  Pick up a 10# chunk of lead and spin around with it a few times...it will tire you out!  I once won a 50 lap dirt race and went right to the scales after the race.  The tech guy looked puzzled so I asked what was wrong.  He said I made weight by 1 (ONE!) pound!  I always cut it close, but this race had a few more cautions then normal and I was really close!  But still got the trophy!  LOL 

Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »

I always ran our cars 3 to 5 lbs heavy. Not taking any chances. One of the funniest things I ever saw was the hissy fit Blomquist threw at Eldora when he scaled, if I remember right, 3 lbs light.
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »

That is why Bloomer alway runs his car through any muck he can find around the track before he goes to the scales!  I remember that night at Eldora.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »

Yeah, back in the day you could pick up 20 lbs running up over the cushion or driving through a puddle along the infield wall. Now dirt tracks are run in like soft asphalt.
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »

LOL  YOu have not been to Oakshade Raceway have you?  They have a GREAT track and it is a blast to race on!  But if you run down near the infield you can still typically find some mud to pick up.  Just gets dry slick in the racing groove. 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: