USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Squared Rear Bumper VS. Angled Rear Bumper  (Read 11920 times)
USACRULES
Rookie

« on: February 11, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »

Which is best to run and why?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »

That depends on whose car they are...on my son's car I want a squared off rear bumper...on all the other kids cars, I want them to have an angled/pointed bumper. Wink

Oh, you wanted to know why too...I have seen kids that have been driving awhile get up on the angled/pointed bumpers and really move the rear end of the car around a lot on the track, especially if they have a partially caved in front bumper themselves.  I really am squaring off AJ's bumper on his Stanley to avoid that from happening as much.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:00:00 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »

Dosen't matter we have been spun with both. I had a square one on for most of the season.  If they hit you in the left rear the can move you just the same as with a pointed bumper. I put the pointed one back on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:03:15 AM by Barr » Logged
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:56 AM »

I started making all of ours square a few years back for the reason Freitas gave.  Yes, a triangle rear bumper will enable one from behind to push you around even if it is not intentional.  If they hit just a little off center, the triangle will push around much easier than the square rear bumper will.  You can still be hit or hooked with a square, just not as easily and the little non-intentional bumps won’t turn out as bad with the square bumpers.

Test a few models on the dining room table using cut out metal or wood blocks and you will see what I mean.  ;-)

miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »

We use the square. I have seen kids hit the pointed one and actually loose it right into the rear tires of the car in front of them. I know my driver would not forget someone that does this too him. He is a little Dale Sr. and Kyle Busch in one, sorry to say.

Thanks,
Mike
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »

I have an angled bumper for sale if anyone wants one.   Grin

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
USACRULES
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »

It seems to me that a squared bumper would be better going down the front and back stretch.
An angled bumper would be better in the turns.

CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

Angled bumpered cars get turned around on corners the most, especially on starts/restarts. If the push from behind is even slightly off center, then the car will get loose or get turned. 

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
A and J Racing
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »

We make and run angled bumpers so that our cars look like a real midget/sprint car. As a dad when my 2 boys are out there driving together I believe the angled bumper teaches them how they can race someone else, either closely or when its too close. Weather a bumper is squared or angled if you have a driver who doesnt understand how to push with his bumper or drive properly then they are going to turn cars around no matter what. I think trying to make all cars have squared bumpers would just turn some racing into more of a push fest then racing. Plus if you turn a car around on the bumper, its better then pushing them into the wall.
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

Well put A&J. Experienced drivers have learned how to hook a square bumper and you cant hook an angled bumper as easy. Micros & midgets have angled bumpers and I think QM's should too. It teaches the kids to drive better. Thats the idea of a square front and angled rear...harder to push or hook.

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »

I would say that even though you can get roughed up and turned with either style, it's much more noticeable if you run a squared off bumped. That's the benefit of it, if someone roughs you up enough to spin you with a squared bumped, it's going to be completely blatant.
3rdturn
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »

Squared or angled bumper how long can the bumper be? I have seen some bumpers that are 6 to 8" from the body. That can cause problems also.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »

My concern wasn’t so much my drivers bumping others as it was others bumping and pushing us around on lineups.  After being sent to the tail because someone turned us around a few times, I broke out the stainless tubing and tig welder and helped fix that problem.  ;-)  Plus at 12.00 each I could keep the cars looking great all year long…

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: