USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 15824 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: January 27, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »

Ok, so I have heard so many people's versions of what are the best so I figured why not hear some more versions...

Tanner, ARS, VRP...etc...which do you feel are the best shocks and what makes them better than the others?  When we started at our track just about every car ran Tanners, now about half run ARS.  There are one or two cars on something other than that, but that is about it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »

I have only ran ARS. Do not know the difference.

Mike
ssssmoke
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:17:17 AM »

im sure you will get several different opinions but the best shock is...... the one you get to work.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »

The quality of the shock depends on the forces you are obtaining and how each shock controls those forces at each wheel. Each track will give out different forces and frequencies. I have 2 cars and between the 2 cars I have 4 makes of shocks on them. But this is a result of several days of dyno testing around 20 different shocks

Kris Walker
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »

Can I borrow some money to buy that many shocks, LOL. I am still paying for the air in my tires.

Thanks,
Mike
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »

MotionX - Really...now really?

I use ARS  R3 on all 4 corners of every car we race. Same shock at all tracks. The shocks on my SR Honda car are 2 years old and have never...never been touched. I know that is not a good practice...but I wanted to see how long they would last and..."if it aint broke dont fix it"

Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

3 cars =12 shocks + various other shock acquired as spares.

I do use the same shocks on all tracks.

Kris Walker
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

Eric...you ran r3s down here in Tampa when you raced here too?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »

Jr. Honda, Sr. Honda, Lt. 160, Lt. AA, Lt. WF ARS #3's all around.  The only track that we ever changed anything was for Mini Indy we put a #4 on the RF.

miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Eric, did you have any problems with putting your animal on your car after taking a Honda off? I called Stanley and they said they thought you had one and did not have any issues. 1-770-894-7614

Thanks,
Mike
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

Mike,   How are you trying to put you animal   "ON"  your Stanley Car. If you remove the four bolts holding your Honda engine in, then pull it upwards it will easily come out of your car. Then re-use the bolts from your Honda and put them in the four holes on the Animal. Then slowly lower it into place allowing the four bolts to go thru the engine plate. Be sure to install four nuts on the bolts to secure the engine in place...after adjusting the chain. I think that you can handle it from here.

And yes it fits in a Stanley car with no problem at all.

LMAO  -  man I am so glad it is Friday and I get to go racing.

Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »

I actually couldn't get the Animal in our Stanley easily.  I would have had to move the gas tank (which would have required modifying the tailcone) and cut one of the cross bars behind the firewall for it to fit.  We are trying to sell that car to buy another Nervo, so we just dropped the Animal in the Nervo and are running the Honda in our Stanley.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »

Like I said, I finally got it in. The problem was that the plate on top of the engine that is used for WKA purposes, was still on my engine. This plate kept the engine from going forward enough for it to slide back and forth for the chain adjustment. Sitting on the pit-cart, we still have to use a pull rope to start it. I was hoping after hearing everyone talk, that it was going to start like the Honda's. I guess what they were referring to was pushing it off.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »

Ours starts on the pit cart just like our honda, with a quick spin of the right rear tire.  On the track, it is different than the Honda though.  You need to get it going pretty good with the switch off, then have your driver hit the switch and then ease into the throttle and it should fire up.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »

Do you have to pick the back end up like the stocker or just get it rolling and then hit the switch?

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: