USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:54:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mychron RPM wire  (Read 23112 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

We want to hard-wire into a "wiring block" for lack of a better word instead of wrapping the wire around the spark plug.  When doing this, is there any issue with shortening the wire so it all neat and clean or do we need to leave the full length wire?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
atfd404
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »

Scott,
We use a plug into the engine wire with two female and one male kinda like a splice with conectors. Pluging engine into one and Mychron into other. Worked on honda and world formula both.
Jeff
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »

I shortened the wire on our mychron 4 when I hard wired it and everything works just fine and looks so much better.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:25 PM »

Thank you, that is what I was hoping to hear.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »

Shortening the wire is not a problem. Just like the kill switch wire, make sure it is routed in such a way that it doesn't get pinched or short out to ground. When you lace the wire through the Mychron, make sure the "Loose Tail" is not to long, as to let the bare end touch ground either.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
msl1973
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »

when i hit my memory button it takes about 20- 30 seconds to respond - is this normal on Micron 4? just wondering.
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »

YOU PROBABLY JUST NEED TO CLEAR THE TEST DATA THAT IS STORED IN IT TO FREE UP SOME MEMORY IN IT. I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MINE WHEN I FIRST STARTED USING IT BUT WHEN I CLEARED EVERYTHING IT WORKED FINE AGAIN. 
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »

What slowpoke said is correct. If you don't clear the data every so often, aka take out the trash, the Mychron will slow down as well as take faulty readings.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »

So it worked fine on our Jr Honda car with the Tach wire shortened and hard wired into a "wiring block", but it doesn't seem to be working correctly on the Jr. Animal car.  The rpms seemed to pick up fine while he was on the track, but with the car sitting on the cart idling it doesn't show any RPMs on the gauge.  Any ideas?  Will I need to go back to the wire around the spark plug on this car?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:33:29 PM »

Yes you will need to wrap it around the coil wire. We had the same problem, after we moved the tach lead to the coil wire, it fixed the problem.
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »

Ditto what Chad said- last weekend we had about 3 Animals or so w/ Micron issues in the Heat race. We got feedback to try the wrapping around the plug deal instead of a connector and it work for all of us in the feature. It was nice to finally get some good Micron readings off the cars. Not sure what the deal is with that- Guess it's just FM.

Hey guys check out the site, lots of great paint!
 http://www.colorsbybarr.com/

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »

Again thanks for the great input!!!  I guess we will hard wire our Hondas, but will wrap the wire around the plug for the Animals.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »

If you can get the plastic clip that snaps over the plug wire and always keep it in the same place. On my world formula I put it next to the boot. Keeping the pickup in the same place all the time will help keep your readings more consistant. 
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »

So after reading all of these comments, can I wrap my black wire around the plug cap and tape it with black electrical tape to keep it in place for the more consistant readings?
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:37 AM »

Scott,

We raced the whole weekend (at Tampa) for the Junior Animal with the MyChron 4 wire hardwired, and we got good and consistent readings. I found the biggest problem is when the MyChron gets too full and it won't get good readings, Tampa or elsewhere. We now empty data often, and we haven't had problems getting readings since we started doing that. And change your batteries more frequently. I've heard that the MyChron acts up sometimes even if it says the battery is not low.

L.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: