USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Price  (Read 30635 times)
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »

I don't like that video Lyra!!! Wink

Sorry Scott!  Grin

But you have to admit, it's a great motor. And for drivers our kids' age (6 and 7) to have another class to race in is great.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »

How many HP does a good animal put out? I have one and it has about 3.90 off the dyno.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »

Is that the hp out of the box with a Junior plate? Seems kind of low. You'll probably get better output with the permitted work done to it. Not sure what's considered "good" though.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »

Eric Rankine had previously posted that a Jr Animal should pull about 4.33, but keep in mind that conditions will impact how an engine dynos and every dyno is different.  That is why you shouldn't base an engine purchase on a dyno sheet alone.  It is very easy to tune a dyno to make a junk engine look good on a dyno sheet. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
nashjr13
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

Thankfully Scott it was just a "FUN" race!!!  As I witnessed last weekend, USAC really did a great thing when they started the new animal class in 2010. These young drivers needed another opportunity to gain confidence and experience.   All 3 of our animal motors are from the same builder, and I feel very confident we couldn't get a better engine anywhere else.....just my opinion!!

Larry Nash
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

I have all the faith in the world with my builder. I will see in March what we have under the hood.

Thanks,
Mike
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »

Hmmmm, what's a good jr honda show HP, and what about a jr stock?
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:22:56 PM »

I asked the same question. I see 4.33 on an animal but haven't received anything on the other 2.

Thanks,
Mike
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »

Per Ziggys website, looks like a Jr. Honda is at about 3.6, maybe 3.7.  Jr. Stock looks to be about 5.75 or 5.8.   I agree the Decos cost is out of control, but 4.33 doesn't seem like a big enough jump over 3.7 to warrant an additional class.  Animal appears closer to the Jr. Honda in power, than the Deco.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »

True maybe the HP numbers may not show the Animal equal to a stocker but we used the HP as a baseline then tweaked the restrictor plate based on actual lap times. I think almost everyone would agree that has run one that they have lap times very close to stocker lap times. Now I agree it is not the same throttle response as a stocker...but that was not the goal with the animal class either. It was to give the Jr racer another class to run. At most weekly races there are no stockers running so the only class that they could get seat time in was Jr Honda. Now they can have two or even three classes if they want.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
jdracing
Veteran

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »

my jr honda with tier 3 parts put out 4.6 and my stocker was 6.0
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »

Nice hp numbers on your motors, all motor builders will not get the same readings
jdracing
Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »

I put them both on my dyno and had # very close.I had to get a dyno I do not believe a thing on those sheets
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:21 AM »

idracing Have you put a animal on your dyno
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »

This winter at the indoors I've been trying to track lap times for Animal vs. Stock in an attempt to get a good gauge of were they stand. Regardless of the rated horse power output, in general lap times have been +/- .1 second from one another. Specifically this past weekend just using my stop watch while watching the Stocker in the heat race our Animal was .05 slower than Stock however in the feature we were .05 faster than Stock. We have not necessarily been the fastest Animal out there but in 4 events we've got 2 wins and second and a third, so we are at least one of the quicker ones. And in general these times are approx .2-.3 faster than Jr Honda. Although this weekend my Animal was .35 faster than my 2nd place Honda in the feature.

Thus far I honestly can't say anything bad about the motor or the class. It seems to be growing already, and my driver definately is having fun with it. We are running a Rankin Manufacturing owned and Baker prepped animal currently. Onoly bad I've heard in general conversation is the internal finish work on the Briggs is a bit sloppy but can't say from a personal standpoint.

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: