USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:28:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Safety  (Read 65017 times)
TysonThompson
Rookie

« on: September 30, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »

Lets use this forum to discuss what changes we would like to see on the Safety front.  I do all I can to keep my kid safe.  However, there are parents that are new to racing and do not know any better.  That is where rule changes will help. So lets speak our mind here.  USAC will listen.
Vader
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

This summer, the QM Safety Buz, has been
  • Soft Walls
  • Leaning
  • Head and Neck Restraints

You can see what people have been saying at
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/QuarterMidgetSafety/

I have a lot of faith in USAC,
TA
[/list]
Seipy
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

I certainly agree the leaning is NOT right. What other class allows you to do it. What purpose is the cage when you are half way out?? Also the fireproof helmet?? How many other classes require this helmet? Slingshots? Micros? Modified 600's?? How can they stress the importance of th ehelmet when they leave them lean out of the car?? Just my thoughts. Thanks!
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »

Safety issues to me are

1. Leaning out of car, especially past nerf bar.
2. Walls, guard rails and walls that are solid need to be changed to some type of soft walls.

mod9
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »

even though the cost would be a blow to the finances in the the short term in the long run i think a head and neck restraint system would be huge.i see it in alot of other forms of racing where guys will spend 4k on tires in a year but they wont spend a penny on a restraint system.

all the opinions from above are very awsome .
brad_tribble
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

LEANING, LEANING, LEANING. 

Proper restraint installation in the cars.  No more having both belts on 1 upright. 

We use a HANS device but that is our choice.  If you don't value your kid that is your problem.

TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »

My kid also wears a HANS.  And I think a rule change that required a head and neck restraint is a great idea.  However, In reality many people will fight it because of the cost.  My feelings originally were that if you could not afford a head and neck restraint you should not be racing in the first place.  Know, I think we (USAC or QMA) should give a presentation on the benefits of a head and neck restraint and the dangers of not using one.  Maybe going as far as strongly suggesting one.  That will put the decision back onto the parent.  I do not want to see a CHILD injured or killed, because their parents were not aware of the safety sytems available to them.  Alot of the Jr. kids at our club are wearing hans or hutchins.  And, by the way ,I watch kids sitting straight up in hvy 160 and world formula win easily over the kids that are leaning.  I have submitted an RCP about seat belt placement and it passed at the club level.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:23:19 AM »

What good is a $800 HANS if your head still hits the pavement first or your kids gets hit in the shoulder by a tire or front bumper?
HANS devices are designed to work with the driver upright in the chassis. If you are leaning out of a car with a HANS device on I feel you wasted a lot of money.

My son sits upright and in a seat last weekend he still had a tire bump him in the left arm. NOTE TO SELF: Put taller nerfbar in the car.

I haven't been around for long in this sport but have raced for 15 years prior I have never seen a QM spin to the right. The most vaulnerable area of the car is generally the open cockpit on the left side.

Kris Walker
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »

My daughter sits upright, in a seat, with a hans!!!!  I agree that the left side is the most dangerous area.  I think a three bar nerf should be mandatory.  USAC addressed the leaning issue last night in the Webinar. Their opinion on that alone will have me voting for our club to go USAC.
I think USAC is on the right track to making this a safer sport.  So in my opinion, USAC is addressing safety head on. QMA has turned their head on the topic.  VOTE USAC!!!!
dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »

The millium quarter midget comes with a bar built into frame to cage to protect the driver and also a top cage bar to close in top of cage from a front bumber of another car getting into driver in a crash I think car builders need to address this and build all cars like this and I could see usac making a rule for this to be a added saftey feature.I can seen anyone pics of cars if they would like to see how it is installed on car.
mothersworry27
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »

If we can't get a vote on no leaning (or driver must be entirely between rollcage uprights) lets vote to make the cars a foot wider.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

The cars are built fine, easier to correct leaning.

oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »

Tribble will you get off the leaning thing. I thought your kid lost intrest.
gwjracing
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »

Wow! I like what I'm hearing here;  QMA does not want to discuss these issues.  The "old timers tell me we can't win without leaning.  My son is competative.....He races with an R3 head restraint, no leaning, we have an extra bar welded on the left side of the cockpit.  My personal opinion is that car/driver weights should be increased to allow for 1" tubes(AKA: Old Nervo Chassis), and add a small inexpensive rack and pinion steering unit to keep fingers from getting caught in the wheel.  If all of these things were done, very few injuries would occur.  The extra cost would be more than made up with a spec tire (hard) and some improved motor platforms. 
Vader
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »

I am glad USAC is addressing Leaning, and I am glad Tribble is too.

Toad
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/QuarterMidgetSafety/
http://www.quartermidgetcentral.com

BTW check out the spread I did on the webinar on the home page of quartermidgetcentral
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: