USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: USAC vs QMA  (Read 141626 times)
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »

Myron, why so bitter? Most of your posts have a negative tint to them, who and how did you get hurt in racing? I agree QMA has things to work on, just like any 50 year organization that is growing, changing and trying to move towards the future. USAC has been in .25 midgets for 1 year now, so I am sure the future will bring lots of challenges that I hope they get right as they grow over the next 50 years.

My understanding of why the QMA forum got closed and changed is because some disgruntled parents were bad mouthing kids and it had to be stopped. Was it the right thing to do or over governing. I don't know and I don't control it so I move on and learn to deal with it and not be so bitter about it. :-)

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »

I'm not bitter. I enjoyed driving race cars for over 25 years and now I get to see my son do it. As far as being hurt, well I do have that ankle thing. After doing QMA for six years I saw enough to know that there is no movement to the future. It's all about maintaining the status qou and the select few retaining power in order to profit from it. You dissagree? Fine. Post the names of the tech committee that has no responsibility to anone other than the national tech director, and none the less makes the rules, right here. I'm sure everyone would be happy to know who has imput into the "clarifications". Beyond that, we met a lot of great people in quarter midget racing and look forward to seeing them as we move on.
Myron
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »

Myron,

Your attitude and tone is what is wrong with both programs.  I wil likely get out of the sport because I do not want my children to be exposed to people that feel they must denograte others or talk down to others to make a point.  The conversation prior to your weigh in was interesting.  But I will no longer expose my children to people like you.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »

I'm sorry you don't like my attitude. I try to help anyone I can any way I can. If anyone asks me a question I can answer I will. If holding people in authority responsible for their actions seems detrimental to you, hang on. There is a great big world out there that's really scary. If you like, there is a "report to moderator" button on here. If they want me to shut I will. Got a lot of other stuff to do.
Myron
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »

Hey Myron, great points about tech and the power structure of QMA but in life you can choose to hang around and work to fix the problems or you can move on and have no other input about the problems. I don't disagree with everything you state but USAC has a track record too(not in .25) and it ain't perfect. All racing organizations are growing,changing, breathing, troubled groups of people run by people, so none will every be perfect. All these racing groups are just microcisms of the real world and we must teach our kids from these racing experiences or any other sports they may play.

Tony Lofton
Lofton Family Racin'
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:12 PM »

I agree with you 100%. What people need to learn to do is ask questions. Even if they are hard ones. Right now the quarter midget community has a huge issue with the Honda engines. After seeing garages full of small port Bs, unported stocks and mods, tier 2 hondas, I think the process for changes needs to be evaluated but the attitude of the memberships, for the most part, seems to be play along to get along. As far as USAC goes, I havn't agreed with everything they have done but those were all in the moment kind of problems and were resolved on the spot. On that note, I used to take guff for asking racetracks for proof of insurance. No insuance, I don't unload. Had a friend that thought that was silly untill he got his arm fractured in multiple places, missed 6 months of work, got thousands of dollars in medical bills before he found out the promoter didn't have any insurance after all. Ya gotta ask.
Myron
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »

Thank you for the input on insurance.  I would assume any track with a charter, would have it, but your are right, you should always ask.

As for the Hondas, I am not sure I see the issue.  For me after less than 2 yrs -- I see the Hondas as being fairly well controlled.  Its not perfect, but nothing is.  I would be concerned if 1 motor is selected for all or even most.  Reasoning, the entry level cost could be prohbitive.  So there are two angles.  Personally, we would never have started if the initial motor would have cost over $1k.

So you can't just look at it from the cost impact after you enter, but will the cost be to high to attract people.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »

For the most part you don't have to be worried about insurance in QM racing at sanctioned tracks but what most people don't know is that the KK insurance is secodary to your own insurance. You have to submit to your insurance first an then KK will look at what is left. It also takes a loooooooong time. I was talking about the 3/8 and 1/4 mile bullrings we found ourselves at on Sat. nights, but, if you run any unsanctioned track you should ask.
As for the engines, back in the early 80's my brother and I both had kids QM age. He looked into them and I gotta say the sticker shock kept us out. Had their been a honda program then it might have been a different story. With honda changing their engines to keep up with increasing regs on emisions they seem to be going down a path that will make them unusable. What's the plan to replace them? Or, will they go the deco way and never die. Just get relly expensive?
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »

There have been changes and I have seen the discussions over Animal.  I guess I don't see the issue with the Honda, I am not aware of any addtional changes coming, although, the demand for them is not driven by QM cars and I doubt that you would ever find a pure race engine in this size without spending over $1k each, maybe more towards $2k. 

The price is driven by volume, and the price for a Honda will be tough to beat for the Novice through 120, 160 classes. 

I see discussions regarding cost reductions, yet talking different engine programs would drive some out of the sport, due to the cost to switch, talk about Hondas laying around -- would look like graveyard after a change.   No easy answer to this one.

Phil
Veteran

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »

Tony, I looked at the QMA bylaws and didnt see anything close about the clubs being able to make more of their own decisions.

On the spec tire issue, 2 clubs in Region 4 requested running a spec tire for club events and were told NO by the NBOD, maybe its different in Region 2.

The only club I know of running a spec tire in QMA is Minnesota, thats because they were doing it before the rule.
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »

Swartz, Get off the computor and get that 600 ready  for next season.Ask the wife now if you can go to the tulsa shoot-out next year.It's awesome pay less to go there than the grands.All you do is race and don't have to worry about people running there mouth or stealing gas from a club.

P.s. don't have to pay for there 30,ooo dollar "meeting" either
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:52 AM »

Chuck,
Congrats to you guys for making the show. Trying to prep my spouse for the idea of going to places like the shootout. Went to the dirt grands a couple of years ago. Took a week to run 350 cars. Have any of these people been to the World 100?
To anyone who went to Tulsa, good job. Just being someplace like that is great.
Myron
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »

Phil, I'm exploring it more but the QMA Bylaws state that it is "composed of seperate component clubs operating as local units". If this is true than local weekly shows are up to the clubs as far as format, spec tires, judging, etc. I agree that the NBOD MAY be over stepping its authority and if so I am looking to correct that issue. I understand that RCP's (Spec Tire,etc) are for sanctioned events only. Just like USAC is doing, every show is not a sanctioned event. I think in QMA the only sanctioned events are States and Grands and everything else is just a local club race.

Chuck & Myron, there is a great thread on microracing.com about the payouts in Tulsa being so little. My kids also run 270's and the Tulsa shootout looks awesome, except maybe the payout!

Tony Lofton
Lofton Family Racin'
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »

Uhhhh..........we have done a grands every year. Don't remember going to the pay window ever. I do know what it cost our club for trophies for one though.
I decided to expound on this. Anyone who drives 1300 miles to complain abut the payout needs to get a new hobby. Micros, mini sprints, quarter midget, stocks, mods, about 95% of racing is hobby racing. Do it if you love it. Don't if you don't. You are not going to make money at it. That's like saying you are pissed that there is no pay window for the bumper cars at King's Island. If you look at the money you would probably find that about 50% of the gate goes back in payout. Probably 30% to 50% goes to facility, staff, and stuff. Throw taxes an incedentals on top and the amount of real profit makes me wonder why anyone would go through the grief of having a show like that. Ya gotta love it. Especialy if you don't get the consesions. That's where the bucks are. Baltes always said if he had sold just one more hot dog........
I'm making generalizations here so if someone has real info to contradict me, please chime in.
Myron
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:08:06 AM by Swartz » Logged
Kim
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »

Tony - interesting thought in concept.  If the clubs were really "operating as local units" why would each club be required to send their by-laws, racing rules, and weekly schedules to the NBOD for approval prior to receiving their QMA charter?  I certainly understand that you may not want the club by-laws to contradict something in the National by laws?  But why would you have to have your racing schedule and weekly racing rules approved?

Good luck!

Kim Mathias
Buckeye Quarter Midget Racing Association
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: