USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 10:30:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Benefits of joining USAC Quartermidget  (Read 42553 times)
Swartz
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

If there is such an intrest in safety why are the cars allowed to make wheel to wheel contact? If lhe left side nerf was outside the track width launches would be eliminated. The only answer I ever get is that this is "open wheel" racing by god. I guess that is where the line is drawn on safety.
JMW23
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

The wheel to wheel contact is not the real problem. I think most people would agree that leaning outside of a perfectly good roll cage and not even being able to see the front of the car is. Look at the kids who lean out and most will have scratches on the helmet from the track. We have been very lucky so far. If not addressed we can't be lucky for ever.  Shocked
Seipy
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

Okay okay!! You point is proven about the firesuit. But let me defend myself a bit. Quite a few Kart tracks around our area. None require firesuits. We raced 1/4 midgets how long before firesuits came around. Here is my primary concern. In Eastern PA we probably have more QM than most states have. Within an hour drive 4 "Outlaw" tracks and 4 QMA tracks. None of the outlaw tracks require firesuits. I was president of WEQMRA for 2 years and VP for 2 years. I am VP for 2009. Most of our members and other members of the outlaw tracks are "Recreational" racers if that makes sense. Not many of us have alot of $$ but are there for the fun and friendship between the kids and parents. How am I to tell them, not that we have decided, That the 2009 season is going to cost an additional $500 to $600 because we have joined USAC? $250 Helmet, $100 firesuit, $50 Gloves, $75 USAC membership. Any suggestions?? The only plan of attack I could possibly have is wait for a year to present the USAC package. For an end of year package for the kids get each of them a firesuit and gloves. USAC any response on how to handle this??
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »

Dave,

I won't argue with you for a moment that safety equipment is expensive. $500 or $600 when you are racing on a tight budget is no doubt daunting.

Your club members have a choice to join USAC or join QMA or stay as an independent. Making the choice to join one of the national sanctioning bodies will come with a responsibility to follow a set of rules; including the use of certain pieces of safety equipment.

Your argument that "other tracks race without the equipment" or that "we raced for ever without this equipment" just doesn't sit well with me. NASCAR drivers used to race with shoulder belts, open face helmets, no head and neck restraints, but that has all changed. Why? Unfortunately, many of the changes that have taken place at the professional level are the result of tragedy. Do you want to wait for a tragedy to make a change. The fact of the matter is that everytime we strap our kids into these cars we are putting them into a high risk situation. You can't deny that. They go fast, they crash hard, they have a tendency to flip, they have gasoline engines and fuel tanks, etc. There is always the risk of fire, of broken bones, of a head/neck injury... The tools to keep our kids safe are available. You just have to use them.

If I were in your position; First, I would do everything in my power to ensure that my kids had the safety equipment required by the sanctioning bodies. Then, I would put together a presentation to the club talking about safety. I would talk about the risk of fire. I would tell the story of the young girl and her family that never thought a fire would happen in her racecar until... Once I had established a strong case for the importance of proper safety equipment I would open the floor to the members for ideas about what we could do to ensure that every club member, no matter their financial situation, could have the equipment needed to keep them safe. Can we hold a fundraiser(s), car washes, bake sales, candy bar sales? Can we get donations/discounts from equipment manufacturers? Can we contact local race team owners for support, donation of used equipment?  Can we put together a profile about the club, the fun we have, the value our kids get from racing, etc and send it to professional racing organizations, the local fire department(s), driver foundations? Have a raffle. Contact the local news organizations and see if they'll publicize your fundraising efforts.

At the end of the day, if you agree that the equipment is needed, first, do everything in your power to protect your own kids, then, find a way to help everyone get the equipment they need.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way. I am not trying to be critical of you or any members of your club. I am just expressing my opinions and hoping that something I share may help in some way.

Best wishes,

David Freeman
www.freemanracing.com

David
dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »

Just to fill you in about saftey and firesuits this year alone we have had 2 cars catch on fire at are track 1 was mine and the other was region RDs car I am glad they we put out and no harm done but it could have been worse. These cars were not junk they were front runners service and check out all the time but something with the new keyway or timing is making them backfire and burn extra fuel in carbs the dust net got gas on them and caught fire. With racing today if you can not afford  atleast a 2nd  hand fire suit and saftey equiptment  you most likely cant afford the gas to get to the track think about your kids is the any amount of money you wouldnt spend to keep them safe. I have used equiptment for 10cents on the dollar if you need some. I will send them and you can pay me when ever you get the money. concerned racer.
dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »

We are all recreational racers but would let your kids ride a 4 wheeler without a helmet, would you let them play football without a cup lol  or shoulder pads  baseball batting without a helmet no so if you need saftey equiptment I am sure there is away we can help you get some. Grin
siggy99x
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 09:33:20 PM »

I am sorry but if you you can not afford safety equipment I would recomend finding another sport or hobby how can you put a price on the well being of your child. In any race team wether 1/4 or big cars when you look at what you need the safety items come first after that then you can redo your engine, buy new tires, fancy shocks , oh yes and the one that gets me the most the big fancy enclosed trailer!!
miller
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »

HOW MANY KIDS ACTUALLY GET HURT AND HOW BAD IN QMA RACING EVERY YEAR. IT IS A PRETTY SAFE SPORT COMPARED TO BASEBALL FOOTBALL BASKETBALL SOCCER LACROSS HOCKEY AND ANY OTHER FORM OF KIDS SPORTS. SOME HOW SOME WAY SOMEBODY WILL GET HURT DOING JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IN LIFE. SO WHY JOINING USAC IS EVAN CLOSE TO BEING ABOUT SAFETY. SO LETS LOOK AT PROS AND CONS ON WICH YOU WANT TO RACE USAC OR QMA THEY BOTH HAVE GOOD POINTS AND BAD.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 11:59:15 PM »

I have seen more injuries the 2nd half of this season than the previous 3 years combined!  This includes kids being knocked unconscious which is a very scary sight.  Safety should be 1st on any organizations list of things to address.

As for some sort of head/neck restraint, I feel that they should be mandatory in the faster classes, B, A, WF and Half.

The days of less injuries in QM has come to an end, it has been alot different this year and its time to make some changes for the kids safety!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: