USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:39:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: any news from tenn club are the considering it  (Read 49798 times)
USAC Developmental
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »

To get back on track with the start of this thread, I will be speaking to the Nashville club about USAC next week.  I look forward to meeting their members and answering their questions to the benefit of joining the USAC family.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »

Freitas
  Should one santioning body make rules so you may be competitive in another? It would be your choice to have motors for both.
 Smoke
 Nobody has said anything about getting rid of Hondas.
 Have you seen any tech specs on the new Hondas? I doubt it because there are none, thats why USAC outlawed it for now. These motors are different, some different than others. Some of the heads have been cleaned up in the ports, probably to remove casting flash, they appear to be ported. How do you tech that? This is just 1 item. QMA has allowed parts swapping from old to new, so if you have already bought a new one its a dinasaur already so now you need to spend more $$$$.

These changes are just to meet 2010 emissions. End of 2011 and in 2012 emissions from these current motors have to be cut in half. 2012 also begins the new evaporative emmission regs (have you tried buying a normal gas can without that stupid spout), and you cant remove it either. At least USAC (and only USAC) is looking at alternatives.   

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »

Thanks for the response from your box Phil!  I, like most people, don't live in a box.  I know I am not the only person that races both USAC and QMA.  Our options are to buy 4 engines (primary and backup for each sanctioning body) or just buy the new ones and cheat in USAC and hope we don't get caught (several people did this at the end of last season).

If USAC isn't going to approve the new engines then they should make a clean break from Honda right now instead of dragging it out.  If not it won't be long before people can't get engines for USAC races.  Then see what happens to the prices go up for those older engines and parts (how much do good Deco's go for?).  I am hearing from local builders that is already happening that they can't get an engine for a race team that already needs them and I know the builder is also already in USAC's ear about this.

I am not slamming USAC here at all.  I am a big fan of USAC and thankful they are in the sport.  This is just one area they need to make a move one way or the other on.  Approve the new engine or retire the class.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ssssmoke
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »

just alot of people scratching there heads out there now (mostly new people) wondering what move to make phil. do i buy this do i buy that? from oct. to apr. most people people buy things such as engines and cars and its tough to do now. what would you suggest to these rookies phil? thanks
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post and definatly am not in a box, quite the opposite.

Freitas, I think you need to look at both sides. What about the multi driver teams that may only run USAC? Ones that are very competitive now with good equipment but may have to spend $4000+ to be competitive next year. Does QMA offer an Animal class for you to run next year?

Smoke
  Very,very, very few people new to the sport buy new equipment. USAC made this decision with help from club presidents and the competition commitee.         
ssssmoke
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »

im not questioning usac decision at all. i support it 100%. this does not effect myself at all, we have engines capable of running usac or qma honda or briggs. i look at it as every racer has a right to know from your wealthy team with 4 or 6 cars to the one car guy in a pick up truck. it doesnt matter if its one new guy or a hundred new guys wanting to buy new equipment.  so answer the question- what do you suggest to the new guy phil?
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »

I believe Mr Rankine answered this in the thread where this should be talked about in the first place. If you want to buy new old motors they are still available. If you want to talk about this further lets go to the Honda thread.
blaze302
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 07:05:31 PM »

Hello everyone
 I have been reading this forum almost since it was created and after reading Mr. JP3Racing's post on here I feel I have to respond since he misrepresented a couple of things I brought up at our last meeting. First I will introduce myself because I dont feel like I have to hide behind a screen name. My name is Tommy Johnson, I have been president of MCQMRA for the past two years.  I have taken on the roll as Race Director/Vice President for 2010. My son is Blaze, he has been racing quarter midgets for the past 3 years and competes in Jr. Honda and Jr. Stock class.
 I will start by saying that I am probably one of the biggest opponents of Music City becoming a USAC sanctioned track but in no way did I "play down" USAC. The "for profit" issue was not brought up in our meeting. After one of our members complained that QMA had not visited us, we said that we believe that James Spink and Kevin Miller are paid to visit different tracks, QMA officials are voluntary and work on their own time and at their own expense. In no way do I or anyone else at our club care if USAC is "for profit" or "not for profit". It's not a deciding factor to me so thats not an issue.
 I did bring up the low car counts and here is my reasoning. If USAC tracks in Ohio are bringing in 60 to 90 cars per race and in my research those numbers are pretty close.(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) How many of those would actually travel this far if we did get one of USAC's big races. It is my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that we would maybe get 50 cars. There are no facts to base that on either way. Just my opinion.
 I have talked to a few members of USAC, mostly from Tampa. I did not pick and choose who I talked to, just a few families that I know and it just came up in conversation. Most of them were not critical of USAC but they were not overly joyed with USAC either. To quote one, they said "it's a place to race' thats it". I have heard rumors that a couple of the tracks are going back to QMA but thats exactly what they were, rumors. I only heard that from one Tampa member with my own ears, so I'm not drawing conclusions from that. The only place that I hear that its the "greatest thing in the world" is on here and I respect each and every one of your opinions on that.
 About the "no judges". I don't fully understand how that works, and believe me I have asked and never got a clear answer. But from what I know about it, I'm not in favor of it and I'll bring up one instance involving Mr. JP3Racing's son and Blaze. The next to the last race, he and Blaze were side by side going down the front straightaway. Blaze on the inside, his son on the outside. Blaze arced a little too much going into the corner and to no fault of Mr. JP3Racing's son, ran him into the wall. Now it was Blazes fault no doubt but it was a racing accident, nothing more. Blaze told me he thought he had him passed and after the race apologized to Mr. JP3Racing's son.  The judges called no racing room on Blaze and put him in the back and Mr. JP3Racing's son got his position back as I thought it should have been. It is my understanding that under the "no judges" rule, they both would have went to the back.(again, correct me if I'm wrong) I just cant see how thats right and knowing Mr. JP3Racing, I cant see that going over well with him either. As for judges slowing up the day, I agree but that is something that can and will be fixed. Our biggest issue with time wasnt judges, it was getting the day going and keeping it going.
 Now I'm hearing on here that against an agreement at our last meeting, that there will be a meeting with USAC and the membership of MCQMRA next week but we've heard nothing from our 2010 president who I would assume has set this up. I dont mind us talking to USAC, but it was agreed upon that we would do that after QMA's national meeting. That issue will definitly be dealt with later. In the meantime I look forward to meeting with James and or Kevin and hearing what they have to say, I just wish it was being done correctly. And if we do end up with USAC, my son will still be racing at Music City but we we'll primarily focus on another QMA track.
 I just wanted to take this time to clear these misunderstandings up. In no way have I or will I ever "play down" USAC. I've only had one problem with USAC and James Spink and I talked about that. I think there is room in this world for both USAC and QMA. I believe the competition will make quarter midget racing better as a whole. It is just my opinion that for right now, USAC is not the best thing for MCQMRA and as I said before, I respect each and every one of your opinions whether you agree or disagree. My email is on MCQMRA's website, I can be contacted at anytime. I will not listen to USAC or QMA bashing but if you would like to tell me how USAC would be better, feel free. I will listen. Thank you for your time and attention. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and good luck to everyone in 2010 whether you be USAC or QMA.

Thank You
Tommy Johnson -President Music City Quarter Midget Racing Assoc.
2010 Vice President/Race Director
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

First, yes both cars woud have gone to the back and if it was decided that only one was at fault they woud get a "strike". Same thing as a call. Just like the big boys and if you are going on in racing it makes sense to me to learn the way it's going to be from the start. But, that would only apply to the Midwest Thunder and Gen. Next races we ran. The nice thing with USAC is that you can run your weekly racing any way you want. You want judges? Go ahead but the program moves a lot faster without them and there is a heck of a lot less arguing. I also do not believe that any sanctioning body should have any say in how a club runs it's program. I like the way Columbus does their deal. The weekly and indoor races are not sanctioned. Anyone from anywhere can run them. I also think clubs and tracks should be able, and legaly are, to join as many or few sanctioning bodies as they choose. USAC was ok with that The insurance was ok with that. QMA threw a tantrum. Real profesional. When I talk about this stuff I get a lot of guff about common rules. Should have seen me scratch my head the first time we went to the QMA track in Topeka. Got third in the heat, won the feature, got a trophy for second because they combine points from qual., heat, feature.
I think the real point is USAC says race wherever you want and means it. QMA says they won't punnish you if you go play with other people but tell that to everyone around here that they would not accept memberships from.
That's what I think.
Myron Swartz
Forgot to mention, while QMA board members are technicaly not paid they are reimbursed for their travel expenses, get free parking, per dium, lodging, etc. at the grands and I believe they are about to drop $30,000 of member money for the anual gathering in Vegas where even the regional directors get travel expenses. Don't want to hear it's worth it to have their "help" at the grands. It takes solid year of planning and a year of actual work to do one and the club does all of that. They just show up and take charge. You might also check the roster and see how many of them actualy earn a living off of the membership from engines, cars and gear. I think if you ask USAC you could get a list of who is on the competition committee. Try asking QMA who is on the tech. committee.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:12:46 PM by Swartz » Logged
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

Hello Tommy...I don't think you should judge USAC based on Tampa.  Tampa is a very unique animal and I would be happy to address specifics of Tampa with you, but I really don't want to do that via this public forum.  Tampa is our home track for USAC and New Smyrna is our home track for QMA so I am very familiar with why the Tampa member you spoke to answered that way.

Please feel free to contact me at 727-505-9772 if you would like to discuss Tampa.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
JP3Racing
Rookie

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »

I want to say first I am not hiding behind anything.  If you know who I am then I'm not very hidden.  I could have used a more "secretive" user name had that been the intention.  I didn't include my email link because I get enough email without adding to it.  I like this staying here and me coming to it rather than it coming to me at work.  Tommy, at no time did I say you in particular, nor did I reference the last meeting in particular.  I have honestly been hearing things from many people for months, positive and negative.  The for profit deal is something that I have heard from numerous people at different times and different tracks.  I didn't know the correct answer on it, but now I and they do too. 

I know I am not the only person at our track that just want's more information and this seemed like a good place for feedback.  I would welcome any QMA members to chime in and tell me why they feel QMA is better.  I see that many QMA members are obviously watching this site too.  I haven't been a member but for a couple of years and I'm sure there are lots of great things that I don't know about QMA too.  I really hope I don't have to choose a side to be able to get information.  I have been very open at our track that I feel we should consider all options with all things that can make our track better.  As I had said in the post, I don't have any major issues with QMA, but I just thought if there were positives with USAC, they should be considered and weighted.  The problem with all of this is that no matter how you slice it, it's going to be contraversial to someone or make someone mad.  I brought up what I had heard so that exactly what happened would, people would respond with opinions and experiences.  I hope that if there are USAC people that have negative feedback, they aren't afraid to share it because that's how things get better.  I wouldn't think this forum is only people that love USAC, anyone can sign up for free.  I just want to hear what people have to say, then I, we, all can make our own opinions. 

You are correct Tommy by thinking I wouldn't be happy with my kid going to the back.  I never am for whatever reason, even the many times where he has screwed up.  I am not certain it would be better to not have judges, but I am not for not looking at other options too. I just see judging as a tough thing period.  It's the part of this racing I dislike the most since it has the potential to be the most confrontational for parents and kids.  And honestly, we do typically wait a long time at every track I've been to for judges.  Other things have caused the days to drag, but I sure hear the ladies calling for judges an aweful lot while the kids sit waiting in the cars. 

I am not aware of a meeting next week either.  I personally will be out of town next week so I won't be able to be there.  I would have liked to have been there to hear from USAC.  I have lots of questions and concerns to be addressed too. 

I appreciate everyone's responses and hope to hear more.

John Pitman
Just a Dad from the TN track
ssssmoke
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »

WELL SAID SWARTZ
phaster
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »

Started this thread to hopfully give the guys and ladies at other QMA region 3 tracks some inciteful info to help them make a choice for the tracks COME ON USAC supporters talk them into a change and I can't wait to see some of you guys down south to race
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »

Started this thread to hopfully give the guys and ladies at other QMA region 3 tracks some inciteful info to help them make a choice for the tracks COME ON USAC supporters talk them into a change and I can't wait to see some of you guys down south to race

phaster, I hope your track does go with USAC so you and your members can enjoy racing again and so we can come down and race there but if for some reason you guys decide not to, we won't be able to . However you are always welcome to come up and run with us on our USAC tracks. Remember USAC even lets you run in 1 race without even joining so you can get a feel for how things work. No matter which route your club decides to go you have to remember that it is your members that make up your club and everyone has to participate to make things work. I would be interested also in hearing some of the reasons QMA proponants have for staying QMA sanctioned,I haven't heard any yet. I tried to look on the QMA forum but they want to control that with a strong arm also, Hell I couldn't even read the post without paying for a membership. How much did everyone on here have to pay for this forum?
hotshotracing
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »

Hello All,
  I'd like to start my introducing myself.  My name is Charlie Pate, and I am the newly elected president at MCQMRA for 2010.  My son has raced 2 seasons now, and competes in the Jr. Honda and Jr. Stock classes. 
  As there have been posts from others at our track, I feel there are a few things that I should address in the interest of clarity.  First, I'm interested in learning more about USAC because I have seen several aspects that I believe could be beneficial to the life of our track.  I am not "anti" QMA, I'm merely trying to gather information and facts in order to present to other members of our track. 
  I personally do not think that this is the place to discuss our club matters, but since it has been brought up, I will say that, according to the minutes from our last track meeting, there was no agreement not to talk to USAC.  There was even an agreement to have another club memeber do some questioning at another event he was attending.  An informational session has been scheduled with a USAC rep, and I personally sent out an email today to club members with this information.  (It was late in the day getting out because, as noted in my email, my server was down at my office and I had to arrange to get the emails out another way.)   
  Everyone at our track is encouraged to have an opinion and to voice that opinion, however, I think that it should be done in a respectful and informed manner regardless of whether you support QMA or USAC.  I also believe that the decisions that we make as a track should be based on what is most beneficial to our club and leave other tracks and regions to decide what is best for them.
  My goal in scheduling time for USAC and QMA to make their own presentations is to allow them to present information on their organizations which we can use to compare the two and make the decision that is most beneficial for our kids and their racing.
  If anyone has further input on this matter, feel free to contact me via our club website.  (www.mcqmra.com)
  I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas and  a Happy New Year!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: