USAC Racing Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chain Drive vs. Belt Drive & Ceramic Brgs. vs Std. Brgs.  (Read 5447 times)
michaell
Rookie

« on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

Again, New to this and need some input.  Grandson starts next year Jr. Novice.  Been to a few tracks and noticed 2 or 3 teams running belt drive instead of chain drive.  I don't know if the belt drive makes a difference or not but these guys tend to run up front for the most part.  One in particular seems to quite frequently throw the belt off and go to the rear but usually ends up back up front.  My questions are as follows:

1.  If money was not a problem is it an advantage to run the belt drive versus the chain drive?

2.  Are Ceramic Bearings an advantage and worth the additional cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Like anybody else, I'd like my grandson to be competitive.
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »

For Jr. Novice, whats going to make you competitive is seat time for the driver.  I've seen the best equipment do nothing and less than the best equipment lap everyone because of the driver. 

badnews69
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »

start with the basics, over the past 6 years i've seen quite a few people shell out the $$$$ only to find out after a few races that there child lost intrest , got into an accident and didn't want to do it anymore.
Tornado racing
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:58 AM »

I agree with what TQ97 said, seat time is the best thing for the drivers at this point.  There are alot of things that will make the car faster but if the driver misses his line none of it matters.  Dont be dissapointed if you are not competitive right away it will take some time.  We would set goals for ourselves for each race.  Sometimes it would be just getting lined up quickly, getting a good start or just staying on the lead lap.  I always thought as long as we improved on something it was a great day.  Have fun and best of luck to you and your family.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: