USAC Racing Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:53:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Splined Axle & Pan Bar Questions  (Read 6059 times)
michaell
Rookie

« on: November 17, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

New to this sport.  Starting my Grandson next year.  Need some help on the following:
1. When running a splined axle unlocked do you run the single/double bearing idler hub directly on the splines of the axle?  Bearings riding on the splines?  Not sure if I am saying this correctly.  I seen somewhere on the web a idler hub with a brass bushing.  Hope I'm getting my question across.  Seems like the bearings could possibly damage the splines.

2. When adjusting the pan bar up or down do you leave the length of the bar as is, which moves the axle slightly or do you adjust a heim out or in to get to hole desired?

Again, I'm new to this.  Thanks for your patience and advice.   
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »

We ran the whole year unlocked on a splined axle with the same double bearing idler.  The idler was right on the axle and we never damaged the bearings because of that.

I have never changed the length of the panhard bar when we move it up or down.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
michaell
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:56:11 AM »

Thank You for the info.  Again, We are just learning.
Magic Man
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »

when moving the rear panhard bar the only reason to adjust the length is if your pulling the chain out of alignment.  Small incriments usually doesnt hurt but if you go from one extreme to the other you may just make sure it is still lined up.
michaell
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »

Thanks for the info, my grandson will appreciate it also.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: