USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:37:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: JR. Animal  (Read 32915 times)
gass
Veteran

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »

My engine builder does not charge that much for an engine where did that come from
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »

no tony he didn't say it feels like a b or an a I was simply stating its racing how much torgue does your driver want to feel and how fast do you want to go.Its racing these motors won't stay 995 dollars for long.Hurry up boys only have a couple of weeks before the indoor race go get your motor.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »

I seriously doubt you are going to get one now for $995.  The box stock engine is $500 - $600, so lets say $550, the gearbox and crank are $250, the exhaust $100, the RLV Muffler $40.  You are at $940 and you haven't paid for any labor or millwork (of course you could go without the millwork if you are ok being slower than anyone that had it done).  I am not knocking the class or engine because we are going to try to get it going at our track.  It is much cheaper than Jr Stock and should get our younger kids some much needed seat time.  It just isn't a $600 engine like some people want to keep saying it is.  They will be priced in line with the lower end pricing for the WKA Animals $1200 - $1500.

That article wasn't that crazy when you consider it was written 8 years ago.  $25k for an engine is an exageration no doubt, but the theme of the whole article was pretty spot on in my opinion.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ssssmoke
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

the original idea was sealed from the factory cant touch it. now its getting more and more. milling the head etc. therefore the cost go up and up. my opinion is the jr and sr animal is a waste of time, might as well run your honda you already have. if you have something to fill the gap between 160 and AA thats a good thing for the price. i think stock and mod is not worth the laps you have to push them around the track for the money they cost. also the new 160 motors is something someone can but out of the box stock and compete with the older ones from engine builders for what 390.00 or so. and its illegal.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

ssssmoke..  Let me clarify a couple of things.
There was never any talk of any animal class being a motor sealed from the factory as we must add the splined crank and gearbox for use in QM racing and breaking the factory seal is a must to accomplish this task.

They reason the milling of the head and the decking of the block was added was to help control costs. If we allow the engine builders to machine these surfaces it eliminates the need to find the "right" parts to make that perfect engine. Which is what drives up the costs on the Honda engines now. That is why you see Honda 160's costing $1,300.00.

You also state that the new Honda 160 out of the box for $390.00 will compete with the old engines. But what about those people that are spending $1,300.00 for a built new 160 from an engine builder? Will the old engine be able to compete with there new Honda 160? Who knows? Does it make your old 160 obsolete? Its is only illegal until all the facts can be sorted out on these new engines. There are NO tech specs in existance in any QM racing organization for these new engines. So USAC felt that until they had all the facts and a tech manual to control cheating and the tech of these engines is was in their best interest to NOT all them in competition for the good of all.

Eric Rankine

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 04:32:15 AM »

I'm amazed at how many people are against this. Not talking about anyone on here. But just heard some grumblings tonight about it. I don't understand how making it more cost effective to go fast is a bad thing. There are a lot of people who want their kid to be in something faster but simply don't have the money. The thing I heard most was the QMs already have too many classes, but if you're going to get rid of a class would you keep out the one that's cheaper and will attract membership or the one that a lot of people can't afford and thus has a lagging car count. Locally, I've never seen a stocker run. I can guarantee you there will be probably 8 or 9 cars at a local level running the animal class next year. Keep your stocker class and let us have the animal class. If you don't like it, don't run it.
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »

I was wondring if anyone has ran one of these animal engines heads up against a deco for an extended period such as a feature race.I'm sure the Animal would be a much more reliable , consistant , and much less expensive in the long run. We do not and will never own a deco motor because they really look like a pain in the rear end so this is something we are definetly interested in because we would like to run on day two of the Gen. Next races for the seat time and competition.
ssssmoke
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »

thanks eric. that clarifies alot. alot of people are starving for info on this program with indoors a couple weeks out. with only the spec sheet released, it looks to alot of racers, like alot of work to be done, and alot of money. also people are afraid of changes being made to the specs frequently since we dont know alot about this motor. can you give them some insight on this also, availability? where can one be bought before indoors? also people want to know what classes are going to be eliminated. the gossip is stock, mod, hvy honda, maybe B. do you or anyone know which one(s)? racers are wanting to make moves over the winter but dont know which direction to go. i will be happy to pass along any info, that is factual.  people have been spending over a 1000.00 on engines since i have been in .25 nothing will change.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:57:31 AM by ssssmoke » Logged
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »

To answer some more of ssssmokes questions:

Specs: the specs will not see any major changes in the way USAC will tech the engine. It is set up like the WF tech.

Availability: Both Dirks and A-Main motors have been consulted and asked for information about this platform from the start. They both requested a tech manual as soon as it was approved by USAC and they had it within hours of that approval. In addition Andy Nock has requested a tech manual and gave his input also. Any engine builder can build these engines per the specs. Baker engines and Dirks have engines on the shelf ready for delivery. Just give these guys a call. If someone needs to use a motor for indoors I have some that I can loan out until you get one.

Classes:  There are no plans to eliminate any classes. There is talk that the "three cars constitute a race” rule will be enforced at next year’s races so that we are not running one or two car features. The USAC .25 Competition Committee is working with engine builders to try to find ways to increase the car counts in the stock and mod classes for 2010.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: