USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:44:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: JR. Animal  (Read 32870 times)
Barr
Feature Winner

« on: November 04, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »

I see the new rules are in the garage area. Do we know what plate we are going to use for sure? I would like to find out so we can try and get one before indoors?
Magic Man
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »

What is the cost of one of these animals?  I have not taken the time to read the rules and was just curious if its box stock or what? 
Magic Man
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

Another crazy question is will this be ran on honda day or Deco day?  So I could run jr. Honda Sat and change engines and run Jr animal the next day at two day events and still just bring the one car!
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »

From the Tech Manual: "All parts will be stock unaltered Briggs & Stratton Animal parts specifically made for this engine by Briggs and Stratton." 

Sounds pretty stock to me.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »

There are a few basic mod's but doesn't appear to be anything severe.

Black plate will be ran at Indoors for the Jr's. Also planning to run a Hvy Animal class as well dunno which plate though.

I think the general concept they are looking for is to run it on Deco day to allow for engine changes from Honda.

We've tested them numerous times and like it. Sitting on the pitcart (starting, maint, etc) it's kind of like a Honda (even has a choke for easier cold starting), change the valve spring once a year (like the WF). On the track it runs kind of like a Stocker- not exactly but very similar.

Should be lots of fun and is another venue for the younger kids to get some seat time.

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »

Sorry I forgot to answer the cost question: the feedback I've gotten so far is a purchase price of like $950 for the engine then approx $100 for the exhaust, no throttle linkage needed (kind of similar to a stocker).

Installs just like a Honda, same wiring, etc. Just heavier as I believe it is the same block as the WF. 200cc?Huh?

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »

Looks like some minor milling/decking can be done to the head and block, but other than that sounds pretty stock.

It doesn't look like many of the Quarter Midget builders have them on their websites at this point, but from the karting sites they are about $600 for stock and in the $1500 - $1800 for race ready (wka race ready).  Not sure how different the USAC rules are from WKA, so it is possible the price for a WKA engine may be higher than what it would be for a QM.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Magic Man
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »

are the speeds significantly higher than a jr honda?
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »

WKA motors will have alot more done to them then what we are allowed to run. Thats why they cost more. Magic Man,the Lap times are equal to Jr. Stock. From what I have seen them run I think it will make for a good class for those who can't afford a deco and want to run a second day at the regionals.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

From what I see online, you are looking at $600 for the stock engine, plus about $250 for the gearbox and crank that are required, plus at least another $100+ for the exhaust.  You are pretty much at a $1000 just for the parts, then you have labor on top of that, including the millwork/decking to the head and block.  It seems doubtful we will see a Quarter Midget race ready Animal for $1000.  I would bet it will be closer to $1500 than it will be to $1000.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 04:25:29 PM »

I just got the new crank and gearbox put on our WF engine. It was $275 for all parts and instalation. If you have to pay more you are being robbed.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »

Here is the ad I found:

Part# '124332-8003'
Briggs Animal Engine
OHV Kart Racing Engine.
Includes NEW PVL Ignition.
List $625.00
Sell $509.95

Looks like you would have about what a good 120 engine from a builder costs in one.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »

Does that one include the crank and gearbox?  The builder I spoke to today said the stock price $500 - $600 doesn't so it would be an additional $250ish for those two parts.

I am not being negative, just trying to get all the data so I can make an informed decision if we should try to run our team in Jr Animal next year at our USAC track.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »

No, it does not so with the engine, crank and box you are looking at $800. Seems silly to me. I thought the WF and Animal would be a great place to have the clutches and keep the handlers off the track. Watched micros with the WF run. When they got a red flag the kids could stop, restart and take off without anyone laying a hand on the car. Getting tired of seeing handlers punted.
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »

I thought they were running jr/sr first? Next thing is I think club has to vote on it for indoors.What class are they going to do away with?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: