USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: spec tire  (Read 47657 times)
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »

Boy I remember those novice days where a set of tires would last an entire season.  Unfortunately, the faster classes tend to chew them up and the Vegas are even worse.  I was totally shocked after running the WF this year, talk about eating up some tires…  :-(

I would go for Dunlap, Firestone or Hoosier because they all seem to have alot better wear than the Vega does.

Melmo
Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »

I just hope the members will get to choose!!!

Melmo In The Fast Lane!!!
philabenroth
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

USAC is not a member-run organization, the members will probably not be doing any choosing. Could be a good thing.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 02:47:07 AM »

As a member, I don’t mind not being able to choose as long as the organization is making the choice for the right reasons and keeping the members best interest in mind.

TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »

It does not matter who chooses it.  I just want it to be a hard compound that will last several races.  NASCAR , IRL, ARCA, even Hooters pro cup members do not get to choose what tire the series runs.  The drivers and crews must adapt to the tire.  The purpose of it is cost controls. We will figure out how to make them work.  Lets support whatever decision USAC makes.  They are doing this for us.  Positive energy goes along way.
speed 53
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »

The spec tire will be HOOSIER have you ever seen USAC run on anything other then hoosier.The tire bill will stay the same because you have to buy 4 sets to get one to roll out were they should. Ask the Ford FOCUS guys how the cost controll is working for them?
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »

Guess thats were we will have an advantage, our .25 tires will fit in the oven to grow or shrink them...lol

speed 53
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

Not alot of talk about USAC at ower club. Wonder how long it takes to get out east?
Seipy
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »

Okay guys 2 plus 2 equals what?? What other organization was trying to put something together to get out of the QMA mess. I do believe the talk on the grapevine was Hoosier. Just not enough effort on thier part. I would have to say with Hoosier's interest and USAC background the answer is in deed 4. I think this was also why Hoosier put more of an emphasis on the 1/4 midget tires the last 2 years. This whole USAC thing did not just happen!
mod9
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:58 PM »

i would say what ever tire it will be,mark the tire when coming out of scales and thats the tire you have to start in the main.that alone will cut the cost of tires in half.

my 2 cents.
mothersworry27
Rookie

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »

Any "spec" tire rule will not be a money saver or a competition equalizer.  The people that can afford it will still have sticker tires for every oppurtunity that warrants it.  Some may already have a stock of tires that where purchased a bargain prices they would have to throw out and start over.  Some have setups carefully worked out over time for the tires they use they would have to throw out and start over.  Most all "professional" tracks  brand and date tires and have rules where you can only replace one tire a week or similar.  Lets use the tires we have and are famililar with and run them for a month.  This approach wll also be better for the enviroment without 1000 tires in the dumpster every week.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »

1. Spec Tire
2. Race on what you qualified on

dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »

Speaking about the enviroment they dont throw tires in dumpster they recycle them and coming from a guy who's tire bill is all most as much as the national dept.lol I cant see how a spec tire wont save money we travel to alot of tracks most tracks run different tires and compounds of tires we have 5 different types of new tires in are trailer depending what track we are running to be competitive at each track there is a difference in tires and tracks but if there was a spec tire 1 brand 1 compound are cost would be cut in a 5th just in extra inventory sure we would still put on stickers when we can but hoosiers, dunlops,firestones last much longer than vegas or burris.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: