USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: spec tire  (Read 47641 times)
dgriffin
Rookie

« on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »

Can you tell me what tire will be the spec tire  and will there be paved and dirt tracks also .
USACMedia
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »

There is an RFP (Request for Proposal) out that is due back on Oct 1 concerning the spec tire that was sent to several manufacturers.  Once we receive the RFP's back we will review them and go with what will be in the best interest of the series.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »

What will be the deciding factors for a spec tire for USAC?  Example: supply, cost, durability etc.

Also, to keep cost down and a level the playing field, will there be a requirement that you race on the same tire you qualified on or can people bolt on stickers each time they take the track?

dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Scott is your club looking at this. Dan
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:35:28 PM »

They did this year, not sure about next year.  However, QMA voted against a spec tire program this year.  As for racing on what you qualify on, that would really level the playing field because many of us don’t have the money to bolt on stickers each time we hit the track while others have an endless supply of tires to use.

I am all for a spec tire providing that the tire chosen is in the best interest of the members and sport, not because of who knows who or how much they donate.

Availability
Price
Durability

I hear complaints about the USAC membership fees which are half of what I currently pay, however, my tire budget more than doubled this year which was much more of an impact than a measly $75.00 membership fee.  But I guess they don’t think about those costs?

4 cars @ 105.00 each = 420.00 in tires per regional race x 9 regional races = $3780.00 per season and that’s just for right side tires!!!  That’s more than double the cost of tires the previous 3 years.

And that doesn’t include weekly races, grands or special series that many others run in addition to the regional races.

Justin
Feature Winner

race=life

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »

holy cow thats a lot of money just to race those cars!

To race is to win. To get 1st is to succeed! To succeed to to make dreams come true!
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:11 AM »

Yup, plus wheels, axles, tie rods, radius rods, heims, shocks at 225.00 each, it gets very expensive very quick so every bit of savings helps.  Lets not forget the price of fuel to travel and race to top it all off.

Its alot of fun though as with most forms of racing and the time and memories spent with the family at the track will be better be priceless.  lol

heimboyz89
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »

We ran our points series using Hoosier A40's and I have to say it cut our tire bill by more than half. I know this is hard to beleive but they run the same times out of the wrapper up until the cords start to show. It eliminated for me thinking I had to keep mounting up fresh rubber to be in the hunt.
                     Eric
pokesalad
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »

If a spec tire is used , PLEASE do not let it be a vega! The last 2 years my tire bill has been insane.
Justin
Feature Winner

race=life

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »

Yup, plus wheels, axles, tie rods, radius rods, heims, shocks at 225.00 each, it gets very expensive very quick so every bit of savings helps.  Lets not forget the price of fuel to travel and race to top it all off.

Its alot of fun though as with most forms of racing and the time and memories spent with the family at the track will be better be priceless.  lol

wow! thats ridiculous

To race is to win. To get 1st is to succeed! To succeed to to make dreams come true!
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

"We ran our points series using Hoosier A40's and I have to say it cut our tire bill by more than half. I know this is hard to beleive but they run the same times out of the wrapper up until the cords start to show. It eliminated for me thinking I had to keep mounting up fresh rubber to be in the hunt."

We ran Dunlaps and Hoosiers our first few years and then had to switch like everyone else to Vegas to keep up.  They are 2 10ths faster and hold consistant lap times, just have less than half the durability as the other brands which more than doubles the cost of tires.

Durability & Cost should be primary factors when choosing a spec tire to help the members.  We can adjust our chassis to any tire to make it work and if we are 2 10's slower on another brand, so will everyone else...  ;-)

dgriffin
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

What about tire prep qma outlawed it then backed up and  said no  ppm number for dirt I dont want to use it but I am tired of getting beat by it this weekend at terre haute it was on several cars and no body did anything if we have a spec tire we will know what readings on tires should be I think that would work?
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »

Having rules that are enforced will work!

bigal
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

lets all remember hoosier tires are made in america, but anything other than vega will be fine by me!!!!!!!!
miller
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »

We ran points with A40A. We were new this year so we did not know anything about Vega's. We did good with the Hoosier. We practiced 2 cars twice a week and raced once a week and went thru no left sides I actually got my lefts used from another guy and went thru 2 sets of rights per car. I think the Hoosiers are the way to go. One car raced 3 races in senior novice and 12 races Heavy Honda.The other car raced 12 races in senior novice and 3 in senior Honda
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: