USAC Racing Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:55:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: INFO NEEDED ON SAFER WALL SYSTEM  (Read 8747 times)
McCune Motorsports
Rookie

« on: October 25, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »

The Kokomo Quarter Midget Club is looking into purchasing a safer wall system.  I need names of companies building the walls and are there any other clubs looking to do the same this year?
Thanks for any help
Scott McCune

Scott McCune
McCune Motorsports
------------------------------------------------
Loose Moose Motorsports
Northside Marine
FTL Global Carriers
USAC Developmental
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »

Here is the link to the ones USAC purchased:

http://www.scribnerplastics.com/barrier1.htm
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »

At Toledo and Columbus we used the KISS wall system. KISS stands for Karting Impact Safety System. We had a few issues at first but once we had a fix for that and learned more about them they have worked out great for both of us. Either system is well worth the money spent.

http://www.kissbarriers.com/

email me if you have any further questions.   president@nwoqmra.org

Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »

One problem I ran into when researching the wall systems earlier this year is that these walls need room to move which, at Kokomo, we don't have without shrinking the track or moving the fence. When you only have under a foot for the wall to slide and snake you're going to run into problems with the wall working ineffectively or puncturing pieces. That's what I was told anyway.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »

RBurns17,  That is true to a degree. We poured a two feet strip of concrete to sit our wall on and to allow it to move like you say. Most of the hits move the wall about a foot and the hardest head on hits we had might have moved it the two feet...maybe. Remember as you hit the wall it is also trying to pull other sections with it and this keeps it from moving as far as you may think. Also getting the right amount of ballast in the walls helps with this. The wall being soft and even moving only a foot is better than a wall that is hard....and does not move at all.  That is my 2 cents.  Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »

The walls do have to move.But it's like eric said they also have to pull the other ones also.Buckeye has 300' at the track and I would say aprox. 215 is together it hasn't moved to much .The only time it moves alot is at the entrance to the track but theres only 5 or 6 together at that point.I've race the reg. there and I think it would do fine at your track.If there would be any question I would think coming out of 2 you would move the fence.As far as brand the scribiner wall I think is the best but its also twice as much and that guy doesn't deal.But after those brackets were made for the kiss barrers they have been doing there job.I wouldn't be afraid to use them alot cheaper.
McCune Motorsports
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your response. 
Talk to Scribner about our space between the wall and the fence and they said it shouldn't cause a problem.  Will check on the kiss system and price.

Thanks again
Scott

Scott McCune
McCune Motorsports
------------------------------------------------
Loose Moose Motorsports
Northside Marine
FTL Global Carriers
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 04:21:51 AM »

Thanks for all the comments. I know this is a well overdue item for our track and the personal experience with acquiring, installing, and using these walls is really going to help the people putting the deal together for our track.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: