USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:40:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hoosier vs Vega  (Read 42467 times)
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »

I can get 4 race days from each right side tire. Maybe a little more with Sr Honda and a little less with World Formula...depends if I had the setup right.

I am convinced that a new tire is NOT the faster than a one heat cycle/skuff tire. This has also been what most of my friends say also....okay --> my one friend.  :-)

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »

this is what I did with the vegas last two years I put new vegas on practice cleaned them and qual. with them.Some times I think they were better sometimes worse.The thing about tires is they have molding grease on themand you need to get that off before you run them.The hoosier are the same way need to run them through a heat before you race them.just my thoughts.
Doug Adams
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »

What do people feel about Hoosiers on left sides vs. Vega or Dunlop?
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

We run a Dunlop on the LF and a Hoosier on LR. We tested with Vega on the left at our home track (asphalt, long track, slightly banked) but found it didn't decrease lap times for us (no-plate for Sr. Honda). In some instances it didn't seem to stick nearly as well (despite adjustments), so we went back to our left-side Hoosier/Dunlop baseline.

I know a lot of the midwestern boys do really well with the Vegas, but I guess our ambient/track temps combined with track configuration weren't as hospitable for us. We haven't counted out Vega completely (may do more testing), but in general we've been quite happy with our Hoosiers & Dunlops.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:59:41 PM by racemom2000 » Logged

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »

For the Left front, we use a small hard compound dunlop.

On the left rear we use several different compounds of hoosiers to adjust the handling of the car.  We also use many different wheel sizes on the left rear to get different staggers if needed.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Platinum Racing
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »

We personally love those Hoosiers. I get more races out of these tires than previously mentioned. 5 or 6 race dates are not uncommon for our Senior Honda car, 4 or 5 dates on the Lt 160. I never had the experience of the tire just going away like was mentioned earlier but seen it happen on a Lt. WF. Sizes were always within a 1/8in for me but I always set and flip the same way every time.  I think these are a lot easier to clean than the vega tire was, just don't seem to pick up as much trash after a heat cycle.

We have not run the 35a's since May, until this week in Dayton when the weather turned cold and track temps got below 80 degrees. I got a new set of 35's and pulled out a old set and seen no difference in the two sets after practice. The 40's are perfect tire when the summer sets in, they will continue to get faster through out a 40 lap feature.

We were never out of a race because we couldn't bolt on a fresh set of tires for a feature which happened to us a lot last year. That is a hard pill to swallow for a 11 year old kid who drove his heart out to come up short to a new set of vega's.

Now for my real reason for Lovin Those Hoosiers.   $$$$$$$$$
My 2008 tire bill was $3700.00 running my 160 only half the year.
My 2009 tire bill is 800.00 to date running both classes all year.
This gave us the opportunity to travel this year and have a great time with some really good people.  Thank you Hoosier       
                                                    Larry
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »

Here in Florida, we pick up plenty of gunk on the Hoosiers, but they're easy to scrape with a heat gun. They don't seem to pick up nearly as much when they're grooved though.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »

Will a a35 sticker tire be as fast as a vega sticker tire for qualifying. Im thinking for the fall nationals at ncqma next month
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »

We started to use A35 the last three races at north metro atlanta this year with others on Vegas.
I heated cycled two sets. During a Friday night practice, I let a Vega car go out a 1 lap ahead, and my son ran him down in 5-7 laps . passed him and left him a half lap. These tires come in fast, they seem to tighten the car up. A friend of mine runs I70 with Hoosiers and sunlaps on right. We run 13 to 14 psi on right in the A35. He told me he has to set the car up real loose because the a35 bite and tightened the car up. We stayed in lead lap with Vega cars last few races. My son is only 6, the youngest injr honda at our track, so we are still getting passing down. I  like the Hoosiers, they last and make it affordable.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
hotshotracing
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »

We ran the last half of the season with one set of A35's on our Jr Honda. Races and practices we totaled over 600 laps on these tires. The colder it gets the better these tires run. Did have one day in October where the temperature rose to upper 60's so we tested (at that time) our 500 lap old Hoosier vs 2 race old Vegas. There was a tenth difference (advantage Vega) in the tires which would be huge but 500 lap vs 2 race old Vegas is not bad so as the temperature rises the Vegas get better. We ran the Gobbler in Huntsville last week turning 7.4s in the A-Main which for Huntsville is decent times. I think USAC has the right idea with the Hoosiers. I ran over 600 laps on a set while my 3 new sets of Vegas sat in the closet. BIG $$ savings. Just make sure you follow Hoosier and heat cycle them in.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »

hotshotracing; how do you heat cycle your hoosiers,Ii have been told a few different ways.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
hotshotracing
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »

I followed what Hoosier said to do. There may be some others that have found a better way but this worked for us..

It is recommended that you "scrub" in your race tires. This procedure involves warming your tires up over a couple of laps, increasing your lap times over the next couple of laps until you reach your fast time. This should be followed by a cool down lap. The tires should be removed and allowed to cool naturally for 24 hours. This can also be done during a qualifying session. 

So we practiced the day before our local race and let them cool over night. Tires were ready for racing the next night.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »

What pressure work well on Hoosiers/ I have ran 14 on right side and 7-10 on left before. 

Lawson Ingold Racing
rightrear
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »

If you guys just purchased a car for a novice driver what tires would you buy.  Brand, sizes and so on.  I want something we can put a ton of laps on and not have to worry about it.  I'm very green so if you can be specific that would be great.  Thanks.
hotshotracing
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »

Hoosier's "set up" page says starting 11 - 13 for right sides when outdoors, 7-10 right side on indoor track. We started running 13 - 13.5 when it was cool and that seemed to work best for us. Right sides would gain about .5 to 1 lb air. When we had warmer weather we started at 12 and they would rise in the 13's. Want to try 13 when the weather warms back up to see how they do then because when the tires hit 14 they appeared to be at their best. Coarse the good thing with Hoosier you can test on them and not have to worry about hitting you too hard in the wallet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: