USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:38:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Head & neck restraint thoughts??????  (Read 33163 times)
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

We always ran QMs with the standard neck collar.  The problem with a HANs in a QM is it only protects the head moving forwards and backwards.  If you do not have a seat in the car that will keep the head from moving side to side a HANs is not a good idea.

We use a HANs now with our 1000cc Mini-Sprint.  It works incredibly well.  The car has a great seat in it that keeps the drivers head from moving side to side....and of course the HANs protects the head/kneck from moving front to back.

If you are going to go with a HANs or a HANs like device in a QM make sure you have a good seat in the car or some other method of protecting the drivers head from being thrown side to side.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »

Noah's joie seats should be arriving any day for both of Noah's cars, but I'm not real crazy about how the left head panel is slightly bent to the left (vs. straight forward like the right side). When we ordered, we were told that you can now get both sides straight forward, but the rep didn't recommend it. Not sure why....but maybe it impedes visability. Now I guess we need something to make sure his head can't snap towards the left.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »

If anyone chooses the HANS device, we have them in stock and ready to ship. Free shipping and we'll install the anchors free if you're in the Indy area. Call Performance Racing Products at 888-917-4777 or visit the site, www.freemanracing.com.

Thanks!

David
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »

Thanks David, great to know. Wink

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »

FYI to anyone considering LaJoie seats, Noah's arrived & the 1st of 2 have been installed. The bending outward of the left head panel isn't as pronounced as I had seen on another driver's car. We're very pleased with the seats. 

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
qmracindad
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

My son uses a Hutchens Device. Mid way through 2008, I bought it against my better judgment, but I am so happy that I did. This fits him extremely well inside of a quarter midget. This year he has taken a couple of nasty hits in Sr. Crash and a roll over. He hated it at first, but now he won't race without it. The tethers are a little snug and it does limit his ability to turn his head, but not too bad. However, this helped with another problem. Since my kid has a rather large head for a 10 year old, his adult size helmet is a little heavier than the youth spec ones. The left tether prevents his head from moving as far to the right on a long 160 race and he doesn't get nearly as tired as he did last year. This is something that we noticed only 3 races into using it.

When I spoke to the folks at Hans, they made a statement that was pretty clear to me. They said "Let's make one thing clear, there is no such thing as a bad head and neck restraint and if all that you can afford is a Hutchens device, I will give you Safety Solution's phone number." They did and I bought one.

I don't think that we should be allowed to let our children race without a head and neck restraint. I really feel that it should be mandaited.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have purchased the R3 hybrid, but I am very satisfied with our Hutchens.

Don't let anyone tell you that your child won't be able to drive as well with one of these. Last year we won five out of 8 Lt 160 mains with it and this year we won six out of nine.

Vanderpool
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 07:25:46 AM »

Excellent food for thought, Vanderpool. I'll have to look into the systems you've mentioned. Wink

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: