USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Head & neck restraint thoughts??????  (Read 33162 times)
Griffin Brown Racing
Feature Winner

« on: September 25, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »

Thinking of purchasing!!
What are your thought,do you have to spend a $1000.00 to be
good??
Does it have to be a Hans to be good?
Used or new??
Good idea or not necessary ??
Money is an object!!!!
Driver is 70 lbs. Senior Honda & 160!
Any input,just started thinking and looking!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!  Scott Brown
                        Griffin Brown #4

Scott Brown

--------------------sponsors----------------------------------
Baker Racing Engines
Orr Motorsports (for all your motorsports needs)
Klotz Lubricants
Covington Coney's
Moore @ Associates
Brute Power Pipes ---www.brutepipes.com
One Stop Auto
Whitley Welding & Fabricating
ogracing
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:55:57 AM »

hi mr brown i just purchased a head and neck restraint this year from meyer motor sports after a very scary crash and it has been the best money ever spent cost was 650 and it fits the quarter midget cars much better than the hans i think i also like the fact that its held in place by the shoulder belts.but call jon meyer he is very good at getting you into what you need  thanks Wink
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:19:06 AM »

I would also recommend the Head and Neck device from Safety Solutions that Jon Meyer sells. The Hybrid Pro looks like the best system for QM use.  www.safetysolutionsracing.com

My only problem with any of these devices...and this is my opinion only...is that we don’t have a way to keep the kids in a fixed position while seated in the cars. I think this affects the ability of these devices to work 100% but they are better than nothing.

The other safety issue that I see that should be number one on everyone’s list is the use of soft walls at ALL quarter midget tracks. If your track is talking about getting soft walls then step up and donate all you can. We made that big step at NWOQMRA this year and they have been the best improvement at that track in years. DONT put it off another year....you will be glad you did..just ask ANY NWOQMRA member.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »

We are going to be going with the D-Cell device for AJ.

Eric...if you need a way to keep Ross in a fixed position in the car check out one of these: http://www.joieofseating.com/Wink

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
JMW23
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »

My son uses the R3 from safety solutions. Very similar to the Hybrid that Mr Rankine talks of. It connects to the driver and does not totally rely on the belts as a Hans does.
He has been upside down very hard and no neck pain at all. I have seen alot of these in the last year and Safety Solutions will custom size it for you if need be. I love the soft walls but I have control over what my son wears. They run right at $575 plus shipping. I would not let money be an issue for the safety of your child.
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »

I also purchased a Hybrid Rage (First cousin of the R3) through Jon Meyer. What a great investment. My youngest son uses it in Lt.160 and Lt. A. He has noticed how it helps on an impact. One of the advantages I like with the Hybrid Rage is that it can be updated as my driver grows. For a much cheaper fee than replacing it. I will be able to have it updated for his size all the way up to an adult size. Next time we are at the same track I can show you how I worked with the chassis to help solve the problem that Eric mentioned.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
BARRY LANDAU
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »

I bought the Hybrid also through Jon Meyer and have found it to be a great item. I think ALL quarter Midget drivers should have one,,,,,,,,my son wears his around the house some times........he is a freak.
ssssmoke
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »

hybrid  john meyer.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »

We run the Hybrid so when he grows we will just change the webbing and it's not near the cost of buying a new one. My son has had his for almost a year and has put it to use many times and never complained about his neck. Parents need to stop and think about safety of their kids,why spend all your money on cars and won't think of the most important part of that car your driver!

We are getting two new cars and they will be modified for our seat belts to ensure even better safety. The fifth belt we added at the begining of the year by USAC was put in place to hold the belts down where they belong which also makes the head and neck work properly.

The soft wall system is a good thought but the walls we have came in contact with seems to flip these cars more frequetly which makes the head and neck that much more important.

Andy Myers.
team54racing
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »

To all our .25 Quarter Midget Friends. A Head and Neck Restraint is something all of us should have for our kids from Rookie all the way to the big cars! My son wore one starting with Novice when we were QMA and he was 7 years old. People thought I was nuts to have him wearing it because "they don't go fast enough especially in novice to need one". Actually you can get a Basel Skull Fracture under 30 miles an hour! When we got into the sport a very close friend who had been racing for many years put me onto Safety Solutions Products.

Anyone who has seen my son race recently knows that he has taken some nasty hits at Xenia Miami Valley last year being T-Boned then a car flipping over us and especially the bad hit he took at Columbus at the last Generation Next Race. That crash took out our motor, rear axle, all the rear radius rods, panyard bars, both rear shocks and left bird cage! He was wearing his R3 Carbon Fiber Unit and raced 3 races later in LT 160. Yes his ribs hurt but from the video, the R3 did what it is supposed to do. Kids are taking hard hits and we need to be responsible handlers and protect them!

I am a firm believer in the devices (R3, Hybrid, D-Cel. Hutchens Device) and yes I rep for them but  I am on an Emergency Squad 50-100 hours per week and don't want to ever have to call one for any of our kids! Call me at (440) 227-4945 and I can help your child be safer while racing! Our website is currently having issues! I will explain differences between all of the products we have available to keep our kids safe!.
ssssmoke
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »

i watched a video from a race we ran in columbus. we were involved in a wreck where we were simply spun out. another car hit us in the left rear tire causing no more than a bent rim to our car and my driver was not shook up in any way. we was able to slow the dvd down frame by frame to see the accident unfold. thats when we discovered his head snapped at what looked to be a 90 degree angle when we were struck from the side. we were amazed that happened, we didnt even know it happened. so even the small wrecks we have in .25 racing could be damaging now? later? who knows. we now have a hybrid and i feel so much more at ease.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

Watching the film slowed down to frame by frame can be scary.  We too watched a wreck when AJ hit a car that spun right in front of him.  At speed the wreck looked like nothing and there was no damage to either car, partly due to "Rookie" speed.  However slowed down you could see the other kids head snap out of the car at pretty much a 90 degree angle.  Even at the slow red plate speeds, the violence of the wreck was scary.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
team54racing
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »

It does not take much of an impact for the head to snap at 90 degrees or greater. I remember many times this season I have been at various tracks and handlers brush off a wreck for the simple fact of "they want to race and the kids are fine". We all need to take a step back and realize how much we spend on tires and motors to GO FASTER! What about the safety gear? Why is it the last thing we spend money on? Can you put a price tag on your child's neck or back? Not in my book.

Look into a head and neck restraint BEFORE you really wish you had bought one. There is no price you can put on your child's safety and so what if they don't finish first. There is always another race on the schedule.

Glad to see people are thinking about safety and looking into the devices. If you want to see scary footage of crashes and necks snapping, I have a video that was done by Safety Solutions that makes you really want to pull out the credit card and order one TODAY! It is a one time expense that has a life time positive result! You throw out tires and motors, you can't throw out your child's neck or back and order a replacement!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:33:44 AM by team54racing » Logged
Griffin Brown Racing
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:51 AM »

I can just drill my current helmet correct???

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ordering soon!

Scott Brown

--------------------sponsors----------------------------------
Baker Racing Engines
Orr Motorsports (for all your motorsports needs)
Klotz Lubricants
Covington Coney's
Moore @ Associates
Brute Power Pipes ---www.brutepipes.com
One Stop Auto
Whitley Welding & Fabricating
ogracing
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »

mr brown if you order from jon meyer im sure he will help you mount the rings properly and explain everything to you thats what he did with my sons r3.thats the nice thing about buying from a racer and not the big box places thanks
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: