USAC Racing Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Axle - Keyed vs Splined  (Read 9252 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »

Our car had a splined axle on it when we bought it, but I am considering switching over to a keyed axle instead.  It will cost more up front to switch, but after only a couple bent axles it will start to be much cheaper with a keyed axle.  It also seems like more people run keyed than splined, but that doesn't really mean it is better.  Figured there would be some pretty good opinions on here, so let's hear them...

Thanks in advance for the input!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »

The only advantage to a splined axle I can think of is that you can change track width in about half a minute. Also, if you are moving into the full size open wheel world, it is more like how they are built.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »

I just did the math and a splined axle costs us just about $200, but a keyed axle is about $85.  So it will save about $115 every time one gets bent.

Initially it will cost me about $185 to buy all the new hubs (Brake, Gear...etc) to make the switch, but I will sell the old hubs as well as the current splined axle so I should get at least 50% of that back if not more.

Now that I did the math I am leaning towards it even more.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
dmmc
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »

If you plan on having a lot of bent axles, then the keyed axle will save you some $, but I find that the ability to change RR & LR spacing quickly comes in handy sometimes, especially running someplace different with limited practice time.  Also, I keep a hub in my spares so that I can change a flat more quickly.  If I decide to go from locked to smokered or unlocked at the last minute, that can be done faster as well.  (but I hear that 3 in 1 hub is pretty fast too)  I have wondered if the tension that the nut has on the stack of spacers adds some rigidity to the overall assembly.  We've taken some pretty hard licks and ,knock on wood, haven't had to replace one yet in 2 years of racing 4 cars pretty much every weekend april thru october plus indoors - However, I have lost axle nuts on three occasions due to multiple transfer races and forgetting to retighten, to me ,that's probably the biggest drawback. 
Swartz
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »

I've seen wheels fly off of the splined axles many times. Why aren't they drilled on the end for a hairpin to capture the nut?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »

Swartz...I don't get that either.  The nuts we get from Zero Error even have holes so it would be perfect if the axle was drilled.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: