USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:47:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: usac  (Read 68845 times)
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

You would think that by now some of the silver crown and sprint car drivers would be hanging out of their cars also since it makes you so much faster, to heck with adjusting things JUST HANG OUT!
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »

You're right Mr. Poke. This was an interesting thread. I don't think those who are not concerned about kids "leaning" are any less caring than those of us who think it's a issue of safety. I'm kind of an old guy. I played high school and college football in the 50's when you did'nt need a cage on your helmut. I never got as much as a nose bleed for 7 years and I played every game. My last year of college football they made everyone except the backfield wear one of those damned things. Wouldn't you know, I blew out my knee. Is there a lesson to be learned?
Swartz
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

You would think that by now some of the silver crown and sprint car drivers would be hanging out of their cars also since it makes you so much faster, to heck with adjusting things JUST HANG OUT!
QMs are one of the very few motorsports where the driver can be 50% or more of the combined weight of the vehicle/driver. The problem I have with "leaning" is the driver being held stationary from the waist down. Just beggin' for a spine injury. You want to see some serious "leaning" watch some motorcross and Karts.
dmmc
Veteran

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »

-Had out the calculator... a 180 lb silver crown driver is about 1/7 or less of the combined wt. A 95 lb lt 160 driver is 1/3 of the combined wt......
Swartz
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »

We run Hvy. WF 340 lbs and Hvy. AA 325 lbs. My driver, 155lbs. Last time I weighed him. Might have had a sandwich or two since then
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

Would you like the extreme.

Driver: 6'0", 260 lbs w/heavy suit on, 15yrs old

Combined car and Driver: 425 lbs

Driver is over 60% of the weight

Driving an NC Extreme 02  82"x37" set at "Half" length and width

Seated (Lying) in custom "Bead" seat with slight lean. Belts tight. Outside of helmet at shoulder bar. With the rap-around effect of the bead seat he can't lean farther than positioned.

We tried many things to keep the car from biking.
         Switching from Vegas to Hooisers. (BIG help)
         Laying him down with custom seat.
         Softening the springs. (ie:115# RR)

He can race an almost 20 HP Animal with out biking. It would not have been possible if he had to be in an upright rigid seat. Is he safe? You might ask. I think so, or he wouldn't be racing. Even with a total 22 flips as he enters his 10th year of racing, the worst injuries have been bruises.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
Swartz
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »

Dale,
Are you running the allowed 36" track width?
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »

Not usually. It gets a little loose if I go all the way out there.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 12:21:11 AM »

I personally do not have a problem with someone not using a seat (we use one because we want to). What I do have a problem with is these kids who are hanging outside of the nerf bars, everyone I know who comes and watches these races for the first time just can not believe that these kids parents let them stick their heads out in harms way.I have seen two kids this year receive tire marks on the left side of their helmets and their dads let them continue to do it. I could not imagine how I would feel if I let my kid get hurt this way ,especially when it is so easy to prevent.Come On USAC , you need to address this issue now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: