USAC Racing Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ratchet Hub??  (Read 16587 times)
odogracing
Veteran

« on: August 29, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »

We have been running locked up in Novice.  Tried several times to run unlocked and have had issues with being able to drive without spinning.  So, I purchased a ratchet hub after speaking with some folks thinking we'd get the benefit of locked in the corners but free on the straights.  However, the car appears to go into the corner fine, but wants to spin coming off.  Is this normal for a ratchet hub?  Was my exspectation of using a ratchet incorrect?  Or, am  I doing something incorrect? 

ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »

go with less stagger.
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »

Now that you mention stagger, I haven't had much luck being able to change. Any tips on shrinking or stretching a tire?

crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »

Change wheel size to change stagger
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »

What wheel/tire combination are you using on the right rear and what is the circumference. What tire/wheel combination are you using on the left rear and what is the circumference?

FWIW, I have a ratcheting hub I will sell you cheap. Does that explain my results with it?

I am suprised you ran locked in Novice? We ran unlocked in Novice and then had to lock it for Sr. Honda. Is your right rear wheel in towards the car, moving it in should reduce the loose.

I am experimenting with stretching a tire right now for the left rear. It was typically 30.5 and I want a 31". I pumped it up with 25 lbs of air and it is sitting in the California sun right now enjoying itself. It is at 31" right now.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »

Haven't tried to shrink a tire yet, but grew a couple left rear tires.  Since then I gave up on growing and just bought several different wheel sizes and use that to get the stagger the same.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

I used to grow my Dunlap, Firestone & Older Hoosier tires so they were all consistent in size.  Running 4 cars it made it much easier to swap when needed without the fear of throwing off my gear ratio.

Then Vega came along and every tire mounted was the same size.  Now with the new Hoosier, I am back to mounting 4 new tires on 4 new wheels and getting 4 different sizes.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the wear on the new Hoosiers, just hate the inconsistency of the sizes.

Out of a dozen sets, the largest RR Hoosier I have mounted on a 8.5" wheel was 34 7/8 and the smallest was 33 3/8 which is a huge difference.  I tried to grow the new Hoosiers as I did the others mentioned above and did not gain anything.  I then tripled the baking time and only gained 1/8 of an inch.  With the other tires mentioned above, I would have easily gained an inch baking that long.

With that being said, I have NOT had much luck growing the new Hoosiers so I just had about a dozen left rear tire and wheel combinations.  I had Dunlap’s, Vegas and Bridgestone’s in addition to Hoosier to get all the various sizes I needed without growing or shrinking because I would rather get the sizes as they mount up.

two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »

I have had a lucky streak of Hoosiers all coming in at 34 1/4 on 8.5 inch wheels. This weekend it was hot and I let the wheels/tires sit out in the sun for 15 mintues or so before trying to set the bead and boy did that ever make it easy!
dmmc
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

Someone mentioned using lag on the rr when running smokered.  Has anyone else found big gains from doing that?
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »

may vary by chassis and driver preference, we never did.

CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:49 PM »

Ok, pardon my ignorance. What exactly do you mean by lag in the RR?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »

I assumed he was talking about lag in the rear axle.  Some run lead in the front axle, some run lag in the rear axle and some run both.

dmmc
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:23 AM »

Yep, I meant moving the rr back farther than normal by lengthening the rr radius rods a bit.  We normally run the rear axle square,  locked, unlocked, smokered.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

How does a lag differe compared to adjusting the front set of rods for the lead?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: