USAC Racing Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:46:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tech / Impound question?  (Read 8181 times)
odogracing
Veteran

« on: August 22, 2009, 06:33:29 PM »

Just curious how USAC handles this issue.  A car races the A Main and is taken to impound.  Tires are later removed from impounded car and placed on another car to race.  Is this allowed in USAC?  Other club's rules state tires are not a techable item unless tire protest form is completed prior to race end and do not even have to be on car while being teched.  Tires can be removed from Impound with tech directors permission.  What is the USAC rule regarding this?  Not saying it's right or wrong, just curious.  Although, I was suprised about the "tires not needed to be a car being teched"?

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »

From the rulebook: "2009 USAC National .25 Midget Rule Book
Updated April 21, 2009
This Rulebook will be used for all National, District and Championship Events."

I was lead to believe that this rulebook was primary put in place for the events listed above and the local clubs/tracks have the ability to vary from it if they want to as well.  I may be wrong on that, but that was the impression I got.  Kind of scary because then you end up with basically an outlaw track with USAC banners hanging on the fence.

Also there is a rule that allows for taking a whole car from the impound area if it is needed to race in another class:

"If car is to be raced in another class or division, handler must make sure
weights and seals are checked before leaving the scale/impound area. If a
restrictor plate needs to be removed and/or added it must be supervised by tech
director or his designate and resealed. Removed restrictor plate must remain in
the possession Tech until engine is inspected."

I know at our track if someone needs tires for another car, they have to have the tech guy do all the measuring first prior to taking them to make sure the pass.  Then they can take them to the other car.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »

I guess it would depend on if you are sellin' tires or colecting class entry fees.
ssssmoke
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

i always ask the tech director before i remove them because sometimes (at weeklys only) we run same tires on both cars.
Swartz
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

Especialy when we were running 3 classes, we would switch tires from car to car. Otherwise, it would have cost us $300 per regional / district race just for tires. How much is that trophy worth? Last race with USAC MWT we used 1 set of tires all day between our Hvy. WF and our Hvy. AA. There is enough left on them that we used them on the dirt last night. I will clean them and use them for practice next race then hang a new set for racing. 1 set. For both cars. With permission of coarse. Or if the thought is to mandate that tires go with the car and we have to buy new for each, see ya. The 600 is waiting.
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »

Thanks, this sounds like it's about the same.  Just wondering.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: