USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: usac  (Read 68864 times)
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 03:48:30 PM »

Go to the movie's promo site and watch the trailer. There's a good shot of a kid flipping while hanging half out of the car due to leaning. It's somewhere around the clip of the dad telling his kid to wreck another one. Nice representation of the kind of stuff QMA turns a blind eye to.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »

Yeah, that is a helmet hard to pavement on that one.

Regarding the dad telling the kid to wreck another kid (especially a kid as small as that)...what an a$$hole!  I hope and pray I never hear a handler telling their kid to do that to my kid.  I would be banned from that track after that day.  These are kids driving racecars and they wreck enough because they are pushing the envelope of the ability (especially the little ones) as it is.  They don't need to hear their dads giving them the ok to wreck another kid.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »

Amen brother!

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »

I agree with all of these post.  If USAC wants to be the top santioning body for QM's driver positioning must be addressed.  It is the "big" thing that will set USAC apart.  I have gotten off my soapbox about this topic. My kid sits upright, in a seat and can run with anyone in the country.  The raceceiver however is a great tool and if QMA had mandated it, Ashton would not have had her foot broken by a driver that was not paying attention.  USAC needs to show that they are proactive and the most "professional" sanctioning body for QM's.  Make the no leaning rule!!
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

I'm not understanding why it's taking so long to do so. I've heard they're looking at mandating seats, which I don't think is the right course of action. We have one driver who has a seat and one who doesn't. They both sit upright in the car. There are plenty of points to mandate a threshold plane on where is in and where is out. No seat about it. Just a simple, you're in the car or you're out of it.
Swartz
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves with quarter midgets and QMA in particular. They mandate the seat belt replacement citing SFI spec. that calls for replacement, $elling ton$ of $eatbelt$, while tottaly ignoring the second half of the spec that says they have to be mounted per manufacturers instructions otherwise they offer NONE of the safety advantages they are there for in the first place. In a day and age where doing double back flips off of a 30' ramp on a BMX bike is a sport selling safety is hard enough without the sanctioning body cashing in an selling out. Everyone have their "shattered shield"?
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »

Well it seems we are all in agreement. I hope the USAC moderator will read everyones comments and reply to how USAC is addressing this problem. I put my grandson in a padded steel name brand  seat. I played heck trying to mount it correct so that wouldn't become an ejection seat. I bolted this thing just to about anywhere I could on the frame and the belly pan. It was a solid mount whenI got done; my grandson ran very well and out performed all the other cars in his rookie/novice class. The problem is, no one inspected my work. God bless this guy for volunteering his time as a safety officer on Saturdays and Sundays but sometime I feel that he relies the owners of the car to police his or her own safety equipment. But isn't the club's saftey director mandated by the rules to inspect the equipment and use the USAC rule book to enforce them. I'm an electrical engineer not a bonified seat installer. I checked those nuts and bolts recently, they all became very loose to my surprise. I should have welded the seat to the frame but I also do not know how to Tigg weld. Alright, I shut up. 
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »

I have brought this issue up several times before.  I was told once the car passes intial safety it is then the handlers job to ensure the kart remains safe.  This is something QMA has pushed down.  I feel there should be safety tech each week.  So, as it stands right now my son's safety is in the hands of some other handler assuming their gonna make sure their quarter midget is safe?   Nice.. huh?

Swartz
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »

If you want to do safety eac week, then do it. Bring it up at a club meeting and vote on it. If you see something wrong with another car point it out to the handler. Help each other.
rookiecheif06
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »

USAC should make .25 ruling : NO HEAD OR SHOULDER LEANING outside of car. Penalty: DQ. Safety is priority one. Eliminate the danger to the driver. My son Joey will start racing in 18 mos. and his upper body will not be leaning out. USAC just implement the rule, make the sport more safe. What good is a safer barrier(sic) if the kid nails it with his leaning head and shoulder at fast speed?
ssssmoke
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »

thats good if all tracks do it. but if one track makes the no leaning rule then chances are they are the black sheep and car counts go way down. i think its up to usac.
Swartz
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »

The issue is really more complicated than that. The handlers have never refused a change in tires that gets more speed. The dimensions and construction of these cars is based on decades old tech. when the tires were hockey pucks. If you set the kids much bigger than Jr. Rookie straight up, on asphault, they get up on two wheels in a heartbeat and clear the fence on a regular bassis. Since no one seems to be in favor of slowing the cars down with a harder compound tire, other changes would have to be made. Allowing a wider track width and eliminating the left side tire inset rule would do it.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »

ssssmoke hit on a point...if USAC implemented it now then they would lose too many cars to QMA because they have shown they are ok with pretending it isn't a concern.  It is a bad business decision to make right now while they are trying to break into the market in a big way.  To the Ohio/Indy crowd it might seem like they have already broke in, but in other markets we are dying for USAC to take on more tracks.  Once they have secured their future with enough tracks, they will implement the rule.  Let's just hope no kids gets severly hurt before then because of the business aspect of it.

I am really shocked this thread has been out here as long as it has without the hardcore supporters of leaning chiming in and telling us to just let them risk thier kids health if they want because it is their kid and thier choice, like they did on every other thread with this topic in it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »

Swartz. This is just a question and not a comment, couldn't you just put more camber on the two front tires? I believe you can set it to more than 5 degrees. We have a fairly sloped track at Orange Show so I don't if it's an issue here. These kids are driving hard and really fast but I don't see to many of them bicycle at 5 degrees. I hope this wasn't a stupid question.
Swartz
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

Not stupid at all. Camber and scrub radius have a big effect on weight transfer. Those are the tools you have to adjust a kart. A track like Orange Show, with it's high banks, is an entirely different story than a track like Mac-O-Chee where you can lay a marble on the track and it won't roll and corners so tight they squeak.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: