USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you set up differently for qualifiers?  (Read 11386 times)
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« on: August 15, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »

Not asking for specifics here -- unless you'd like to share  Wink.

Generally speaking, what should I be thinking about when setting up a car for qualifiers vs. races? I keep hearing some people do different things specifically for time trials.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »

Since qualifying is usually only 3 warm up laps and 2 on the clock for a total of 5 laps, we usually run the car a little tighter for qualifying so it can be driven harder right out of the gate.  Drop the pans a notch or two and a pound or two extra air in the right side from what we would race that day, depending on the weather and how the track is.  Sometimes we dont do a thing.

racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »

Definitely new tires for qualifying so you have optimum grip.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »

With the new Hoosiers, we have gotten faster qualifying runs after they have had a good heat cycle in them then when freshly unwrapped, Vega’s and Dunlap’s were the opposite.

We took tires to practice, a new set, a set one race old and a set 5 races old to compare lap times on qualifying runs, 3 warm up and 2 on the clock just like on race day and those were our results.

Each car, driver, setup etc will vary so to see what works for your program by testing.

CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »

Thanks Scott. Great info.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
ssssmoke
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

now we only qualify at weeklies and we usually have a 2 or 3 minute warm up, and if your first out thats probably your race setup. if you have a few cars in front of you i usually drop the p hard a hole or two.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »

I read somewhere that if you don't gently warm up new tires, then run them just 2-3 laps at race temperature, letting them cool down before qualifying that you'll mess up your tires (1st heat cycle). Thoughts?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:02:31 PM »

For example, the right side tires we used for practice this past weekend, when AJ ran his fastest laps yet in Jr Honda setup, were on lap number 650 - 700 since we bought them.  Keep in mind this set also wasn't new when we bought them, they were from a Sr Honda team that we buy tires from because they have a sponsor that gives them new tires every week.  They had two Sr Honda practices (raceday practices), a heat and a main on them when I got them.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not claiming the optimal window for racing on these tires is laps 650 - 700, but it shows there isn't a lot of fall off on these Hoosiers. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: