USAC Racing Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Race in Florida?  (Read 11071 times)
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

I just realized that Desoto Super Speedway in Bradenton, Florida has a Kart club. Anyone know if they're open to signing up with USAC for QM's? That would give us another track to race and practice, not too far from our home track.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:54 AM »

We tried to get something going down at Charlotte last yr......didn't work out. Don't know much about Desoto. I do know one thing......We need more racing down here! Those boys up north can drive.......reason why.......they are racing every wkend and have plenty of places to race.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »

I don't know if the Kart Club still runs there.  The schedule on the website for the Kart Club is from 2003.  When they did run there, they ran the karts on the 1/4 mile track.  I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that Desoto Speedway was up for sale too.

I agree we need more places to race!  My wife didn't like it when I told her we might have to start running in New Smyrna on Friday nights, North Georgia on Saturdays and Tampa on Sundays.  The new track near Orlando will help.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/FL/#OutdoorKartTracks
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

Good link...funny there is nothing on there about our 1/10 mile track on there.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »

Yes, the racing here "up north" is the best around.  We have 9 asphalt tracks within 3 hours from us which does not include any dirt tracks, outlaw tracks, our indoor series, the rumble series, speedrome and now all the USAC events like the Nationals, Hoosier 100 and such.

The tracks also work together on their schedules to not only run their own weekly series but also a mid ohio series.  Many will race Friday, Saturday and Sunday every week, each day at a different track.

I will tell you that I did not see my drivers start improving as much as when they started running different tracks and the indoor series.  It also helps move us new handlers along very well having to adapt to different tracks in addition to track conditions and the home track advantages like dips, sealer and other unique differences in the tracks.

The hardest part of our decision to move back home was leaving all of this QM racing opportunity behind, it is truly the best and the competition is the fiercest around!

In order to prepare a driver to be the best, you have to run different tracks and with different drivers.  You can tune your car and driver to your home track and whoop butt every week, then go to another track, regional, national or grand’s and get spanked by the competition.  Run as much as you can, everywhere you can and with everybody you can.  Unfortunately, money seems to be holding us back from racing as much as we would like to this year.  :-(

ssssmoke
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »

your right scott we are fortunate to have tracks so close and so competitive. its truely the heart of open wheel racing. from macochee to mini and everything in between weve seen it all.
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »

For sure the midwest racers are very fortunate.  However, I hope someone looks into spreading the big races out just a little more some are back to back and I would think that makes it tough.

I hope you all in Florida can find some tracks that maybe you could share with the cart racers.  They do that here in the winter.  So good luck and keep plugging away.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »

My husband says he thinks the Desoto Speedway track may be too large for .25's. I just wish we had more tracks nearby. Scott G is right in that drivers should get as much experience on different type tracks. I think that's one of the only ways for handlers to really figure out how to adjust their cars for all the possible racing conditions.

The new track near Orlando will be nice to have once it's done. Though I guess that means we'll have to join QMA too.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »

Swartz,
Thanks for posting that link. It was really interesting.

Florida Racers,
I went through all those links & it looks like the following paved tracks could maybe work for us. I know New Smyrna & Auburndale are QMA tracks already, so I won't post those. The rest of these that are sprint tracks, appear to have paved ovals in the center (from what I can tell from google imagery):

Gulf Coast Kartway (3/10 mile paved Sprint), Sarasota
SW Florida Karting Association, Immokalee Regional Airport
West Coast Karting (1800' paved oval), Naples
North Florida Karting Club (paved oval), Jacksonville
Charlotte County Motorsports Park (3/8 mile semi-banked paved oval), Winter Haven
Crossroads Motorplex (paved oval), Jasper
Desoto Super Speedway (3/8 mile paved oval; 1/4 mile kart oval), Bradenton
Gainesville Raceway, Gainesville
Homestead Karting (Homestead-Miami Speedway), Homestead
Ocala Grand Prix (flat oval), Ocala
Starke Raceway (paved oval), Hampton

Anybody know anything else about these tracks? I live in Sarasota & haven't heard of the Gulf Coast Kartway, but I'll check it out.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: