USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:04:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Locked vs. Unlocked  (Read 39522 times)
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »

Is there a pic or price on it? Website? Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Swartz
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »

Is there a pic or price on it? Website? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

It looks a lot like a Smoker hub. The one I saw was powder coated or anodized black. All cnc machined. Beautifull piece. I think it was $340. Can't find a picture though.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

Someone brought one of the Stewart hubs over to our pit in Indy and it looked like an impressive piece, but I wonder about the durability of it. 

It seems up front like it would be cheaper to go with the Stewart piece because it is cheaper to buy it than it is to buy the locked, unlocked and one way all separately, but if a locked or unlocked hub breaks you are out $25 - $50.  If this thing breaks, you are out $300+.  It could end up costing you more in the end.

The other nice part of it is the spacing when you change between the three.  With the Stewart piece the spacing stays the same which is sweet for a handler.

The other negative is they only have them for keyed axles from what the guy told us. 

Either way, in a couple years if the people that bought them are talking about how great they are and how well they hold up, then I would consider it.  Until then it is too much money to buy two of them right now just because they look impressive. Wink

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »

Someone brought one of the Stewart hubs over to our pit in Indy and it looked like an impressive piece, but I wonder about the durability of it. 

It seems up front like it would be cheaper to go with the Stewart piece because it is cheaper to buy it than it is to buy the locked, unlocked and one way all separately, but if a locked or unlocked hub breaks you are out $25 - $50.  If this thing breaks, you are out $300+.  It could end up costing you more in the end.

The other nice part of it is the spacing when you change between the three.  With the Stewart piece the spacing stays the same which is sweet for a handler.

The other negative is they only have them for keyed axles from what the guy told us. 

Either way, in a couple years if the people that bought them are talking about how great they are and how well they hold up, then I would consider it.  Until then it is too much money to buy two of them right now just because they look impressive. Wink

Just get an AA or World Formula. Then you won't have to worry about pesky little things like that. :-)
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

You can call Stewart directly at 812-883-6995.  I know for a fact that several "Grands"champions were using that hub.  They will have an e-bay store soon.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »

I think AJ needs a little more time before he can run an AA or World Formula car, although he would love to try it! Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

We have a picture on our website.

http://freemanracing.com/home/index.php/Rear-Axle-/-Parts/Stewart-Quick-Change-Axle-Hub-Ratchet/Lock/Unlock/Detailed-product-flyer.html

David
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

Sounds like a great thing. But like Scott said, they're expensive. And since we don't know how they hold up in the long run.....

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »

One more incredible invention I just witnessed from Stewart is his new adjustable CAMBER right rear hub.  He picked up 3/10ths using a RF tire for a RR with this hub.  This is not on the market yet as it is still being tested, but wow!! this will change the sport once again. 
Swartz
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »

One more incredible invention I just witnessed from Stewart is his new adjustable CAMBER right rear hub.  He picked up 3/10ths using a RF tire for a RR with this hub.  This is not on the market yet as it is still being tested, but wow!! this will change the sport once again. 

Shades of Ernie Elliot. Had the same thought myself but was told there was no way it would be legal. But, things have a way of changing depending on who you know.............
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »

Yes Swartz I agree.    He was the mastermind behind the independent Eagle that kicked everyones but at Mini Indy this year.  Kind of reminds me of Mike Fedorcek and the Munchkin.  Not cheating, but taking every available loophole in the rule book. Can't blame the guy for using his head.  I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »

There isn't anything in the rulebook that would prohibit some type of hub like that on the RR. 

I would be real interested to see that thing.  That would be one worth getting right out of the gate. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »

There isn't anything in the rulebook that would prohibit some type of hub like that on the RR. 

I would be real interested to see that thing.  That would be one worth getting right out of the gate. Smiley

This is what the rule says:

712 Axles
A. Independent rear suspension is not permitted.

Using a splined end on the axle and radius rods to anchor the hub to the chassis giving it motion independent of the left hub would be exactly that. If he figured out a different way I would love to see it
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »

Hard to say without seeing it.  If rods are used to anchor it, then it is suspension.  But if the shock and/or rods and/or panhard bar don't attach to this hub then I don't see how it could be classified as suspension.

Again, everything we say is just speculation until we see how he set it up.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:28 AM »

I had considered using a semispherical splined joint on the right side drive hub and triangulating links to the left side hub. A lot of stuff in the way to work around but could be done. That would not be "technically" independen suspension but it would be parts intensive like the independent front.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: