USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:52:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Locked vs. Unlocked  (Read 39539 times)
CrazyKid
Rookie

« on: July 26, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »

What do most people recommend for Sr Novice and for Jr Novice as far as a locked or unlocked rearend? Paved track.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »

I Believe that you need to be locked until the driver is able to handle the car then you start to introduce a smoker. The track factors are very important like is the track banked or flat and also weight of your driver. What area will you be running? I hope that helps.
CrazyKid
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

He has only had the car unlocked.. Now he is racing a banked track in California, before we ran on a flat one. He seems to be doing fine but the car went a bit loose in race and everyone suggested locking it up. I think there may have been more factors in it going loose and would liek ot keep him unlocked since that is how he has always driven..
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »

With a driver with less experience on a flat track you will be faster locked because of corner speed and then stagger playes a factor in that also. 2 questions:

How many races has he been in?

When you say unlocked do you mean smoked or totally unlocked?
CrazyKid
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »

we ran the flat track unlocked cause thats how we got the car so it was the only we had to run it. He got used to it and never had issues with spinning out. Now we ran our first race at the banked track, unlocked, and he didnt spin or anything it was just a little loose.

Question 1:  First race

Question 2:  Totally unlocked
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »

Just a thought, i would try locked on your flat track and then compare both times then put a smoker hub on for your banked track a compare your times also but you need to keep in mind to work with your stagger. The main thing with a Rookie is practice for you and your driver!
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »

Are you racing at orange show, if you are i was told that most people run locked up
ssssmoke
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »

if your just a little loose try to tighten the car up more and leave it unlocked, you will be faster that way.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »

I guess the first question is are you fast, then compare your lap times to the faster cars to consider changes also.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »

For Jr. Rookie, try to avoid locked at all costs, but if your driver needs that stability then you gotta do it (but try a one way first).  Locked just kills the momentum and the engine with that little tiny restrictor plate needs as much momentum as possible.

We had to lock AJ up for just one or two races early on, but we kept working with him at practice until he could drive a free left rear.  Now that is the only way we run.

Modifying to add:  Like others have said though, some tracks might be better with it locked or a one way and others might be best to be free wheel.  I would recommend finding one of the fastest kids there and asking their handler how they run it.  That is what I did in Tampa and that is why we worked with AJ until he could run totally free. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:44:33 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

In our Sr. Honda we cannot get around Orange Show quickly unlocked or with the ratcheting hub. It is just way too loose, not fast loose, dangerous loose, and in Sr. Honda you can't afford to give up much controlability.

He has fun driving it that way alone the few times we have tested it but is is slow and loose, maybe 4/10ths off  the locked laptimes. Maybe there are drastic changes we could make to set it up differently Open but we have not pursued that.

I believe we ran unlocked on both the flat and the banked track in Novice without any drama.

TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »

I suggest the new Stewart 3in1 hub.  It is much smoother than a traditional ratchet, plus you can go from locked, to ratchet, to free without ever having to remove the hub.
This is probably the best new product in QM racing.
Swartz
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »

The 3 in 1 hub is a nice piece but $$$$$$$$$
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »

Where might I be able to get a look at this hub? I heard about it at Indy but never got a chance to see one.
Swartz
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »

Where might I be able to get a look at this hub? I heard about it at Indy but never got a chance to see one.
Ellis Shell at SSS Racing has then I know.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: