USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 13972 times)
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

If stiffly valved shocks offer more resistance during chassis roll, & slow down the rate that weight transfer occurs - and if lightly valved shocks offer less resistance & more movement, then what consitutes a stiffly or lightly valved shock? Would you have "all" shocks stiff/light, or possibly mix & match? And is one preferable to the other depending upon your setup? Thoughts?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Swartz
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »

It depends on too much stuff to give a simple answer. The range from Jr. Honda to Heavy AA is to great for a set rule. Also the track type, banking, asphault, concrete, dirt, temperature, make a big difference. The best thing to do is work with a shock/spring manufacturer. They spend a lot of time on the dyno and track testing. Saves you the grief of reinventing the wheel. I use ARS but there are several good ones.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »

Makes sense.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »

We use ARS shocks too and just bought another set of 4 shocks so we have additional valvings to try while working on setup.

I think Swartz hit the nail on the head though, car, track, weight, banking will all make a big difference on what shock will work the best.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »

Are gas shocks the same as monutube shocks? And if so, are monutube shocks used on QM's?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Swartz
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »

yes, most QM shocks are monotube. Read this.

http://www.shockshop.co.nz/HowShocksWork.asp
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

Thanks, Swartz. Wow - I had no idea there was so much going on in there.

PS: You must have tons of experience with QM's, 'cause you always direct me to super helpful [and easy to understand] references in a snap. Thank you for sharing.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Swartz
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »

"Never memorize something that you can look up."
— Albert Einstein
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:13:08 AM »

LOL! I agree Wink

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »

PS: I was researching the ARS shocks & springs. I found the shocks at several retailers online, but couldn't find the ARS springs (unless they're just calling them hypercoil, & not ARS). Is it best to use ARS springs with ARS shocks? Or does it not matter?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

We use the yellow springs from zero error.  Primarily because we bought about 40 springs for well under $150.  Half were brand new and the other half were hardly even used (none of the markings were worn off).

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

Whatever brand of spring you decide to go with, try sticking to them to ensure the exact size when swapping at the track because spring size does matter and can throw off your numbers if they are shorter or taller than what you have.

We use ARS shocks and also ARS springs and the springs can be purchased from anyone that sells the shocks.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: