USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:52:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Motion X Images from Indy  (Read 45898 times)
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »

I saw that as well.  They need to enforce it because I have seen a few that their helmets are outside of the frame rail due to head rests or nets forcing them out.  Very dangerous IMO.

nashjr13
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »

My son head leans a little when driving,and I believe he is just safe as his competitors!! Although his whole body doesn't stick out either.   We have a new joie seat that we are installing in the next couple of weeks. The seat is the way to go in my opinion.  My hope is to get my son sitting straight up if possible. The reason for it is, he will need to get used this when racing different types of cars....

Larry Nash
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »

Larry...B is safe in his car.  If his car rolled (and some day it probably will) his head wouldn't hit the ground with the way he is seated in the car.  When you are mounting the Joie of Seating seat you will notice the left side head restraint is angled to allow for the kids to look to the left and see outside the car, but it still protects their head and should be mounted to keep their head inside the shoulder bar.  If you mount it like the one in Junior Honda C Main with the whole head restraint outside the shoulder bar, you and I will have some problems at the track. Wink

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »

I am not sure why you guys are so big on this subject. You put your child in as much danger driving down the road in car. There are many diffrent chassis to choose from and no one trys to get any chassis bared from QM racing, so why try to get the driving style choose of a driver and handler bared from QM racing? Concentrate on your own equipment and leave everyone else alone about theirs it is our choose on how we want to set up our equipment.

Because it's a safety issue. Yes, this is racing and there is always a risk, but the goal is to minimize the risk as much as possible. If no one can lean, then no one has the advantage. So say your kid goes flipping while leaning out of the car. That stops him from smacking his head or whole left side against the pavement?

I'm sure we can all agree that we don't let our kids hang out of the windows of our car while driving, so no, I don't think we put them in just as much danger while driving.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »

If you mount it like the one in Junior Honda C Main with the whole head restraint outside the shoulder bar, you and I will have some problems at the track. Wink

Only the left side is pass the main frame and does not extend pass the shoulder bar.
My son was the Jr Honda C main car that flipped. Now the way we have his seat mounted allows him to see out the side of the car yet with the upper halo of the LaJoie seat kept his head and neck safer than it would have been if he did not have a seat at all. With that being said we are looking at the location of the shoulder bar and the angle from the top of the frame to the nerf bar. There is room for improvement. Even though his head sits a small amount outside the main frame he is still protected by the left side of the head support system as well as the shoulder bar.

I feel if he were not is a seat he would have seen the inside of Methodist Hospital. This is because of seat and the proper mounting of seat belts.

Is racing dangerous? Yes
Do we need to take proper safety measures to make sure nothing tragic happens if the technology is available? Yes

The real question should be what is safer about a kid leaning with their head out not just beyond the frame but the shoulder bar as well?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:33:05 PM by MotionX » Logged

Kris Walker
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:29 AM »

"I feel if he were not is a seat he would have seen the inside of Methodist Hospital." - I agree with you 100% on this.

"Do we need to take proper safety measures to make sure nothing tragic happens if the technology is available? Yes" - I agree 100% on this one too.  I have said it before on these forums, we all assume some risks every time we strap our kids into their cars.  If the worst case scenario ever happened to any of us, would we want to second guess ourselves over a few hundred dollar piece of safety equipment.  I know I wouldn't.

Kris...it appears based on the emails I got that I may have offended your family, so let me say here again what I said in the emails.  I am sorry if I did offend them because that wasn't my intention at all.  I do think your son is safer than many of the drivers out there because of the seat you choose to strap him in, but I also think there is room for improvement with how that seat is mounted.  I am glad to hear  you are looking at the shoulder bar and considering some tweaks.  The picture you posted shows the car pretty much resting on the head restraint of the seat instead of resting on the shoulder bar.  As I also said in those emails, I don't believe any part of the seat should contact the ground unless there is severe damage to the rest of the car causing bars that would normally contact the ground to not be there.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »

If you read the 1998 QMA National Meeting minutes you will see that there was concern rasied about the ever increasing speed in QMs and the fear of the danger of running 7 or 8 second laps. I don't know about anyone else but we regularly turn laps of 5.5 to 6.2. Slow the cars down? Hell no! We'll just make a couple of thousand dollars worth of "safety" eqipment manditory. Should make it easier for my Jr. Jeff Gordon to win pricing a lot of the competition out of the sport. This is mostly sarcasm. Except for that parts that aren't
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »

Having the shoulder bar come straight out from the top of the frame and then down will buy you a little more room up top.

RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »

But we're not talking about thousands of dollars worth of safety equipment. We're talking about not letting any part of the body be outside the vertical plane of the jersey bar.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »

Loved the photos from Motion X, thanks Kris & Joe (Excellent work)! Smiley

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

Thank you very much Racemom2000! Joe and I love being a part of it all.

We offered a template which had several color choices to match the car. Online it only shows as a yellow one. Don't worry we can change the template color after your order to match the car. For some reason it did not give that option for the online orders.

Kris Walker
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »

Look at the pictures from Junior Honda C Main.  There is a kid with his Randy LaJoie seat mounted in such a way the head restraint is way outside of the shoulder bar.  Hopefully the rollover that put his head on the pavement will convince his handler to move that seat over.

Not to mention that it also looks highly uncomfortable... Wouldn't it be uncomfortable to lean way out over that nerf bar?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:31:35 AM by racemom2000 » Logged

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »

Our first car was a 400 series Fiser that didn't have the third bar on the nerf, so the first thing we did was add one.  We noticed that a right front tire could still have penetrated the drivers compartment above the newly added bar, so we made up another bar that clamped onto the frame across the drivers compartment to reduce that risk as well.

What you accomplished by adding this bar was brilliant & I highly recommend any concerned parent do something similar. Scott, you might want to post a picture so everyone can see what you did. If you have time, I'd definitely pay you to do the same on Noah's. I'd do it myself, but you know I'm still figuring out the tire scraper & heat gun - LOL!

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »

I didn't see hardly anyone using them at Nationals, but how do you all feel about those v-shaped nets by G-Force? Can you put them on the left side? Or just right side? If they can go on the left, couldn't they prevent another car from hitting my boy in the side during impact?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »

These pictures aren't the greatest, but you can see what we changed on the car:

Before: http://www.freitasracing.com/photogallery/Fiser0804/DSCF0036.JPG
After: http://www.freitasracing.com/photogallery/123008/123008_5.JPG

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print