USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: car size VS child size?  (Read 42210 times)
QSL
Rookie

« on: June 23, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »

What is the general rule for the size of child and what size car they can fit in?
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »

I don't know that there is a general rule on it, we just always consider whether or not we can get the pedals to where they need them and if they can see over the hood. A seat can do wonders to make a kid comfortable in a car.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »

Our car sizes began with our budget. 

Our oldest is 13, he started in an 80” car when he was 8.  With bracket extenders and a 2" piece of solid insulation foam under his butt the first 1.5 years, he was able to reach the pedals and see over the hood and did well.  Good thing is he has grown into the car without having to buy another car.

Our middle is 8 and he will need to move out of his 78” car in the next year or two because he will be too big for this one.

Our youngest is 5 and has pedal extenders and 4" of boost under and behind him to get him where he needs to be in a 78" car.  Again, couldn’t choose what was for sale at the time, just went with the good deal.

Would I rather have him in a 74” or 76" instead, of course.  But my budget won’t allow me to upgrade cars every year or two as he grows, shoes are expensive enough to do that with.

As long as he can handle the car, reach the pedals and see where he is going, do what fits your budget or the deal.  If you have the money, start small and buy him a new one as he needs them.

RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

Totally, if you have the budget to upgrade every few years, then by all means, do so. But I know a lot of people, myself included, are on a limited budget so we just fit the kid to the car. Kids grow too fast.

Although, I will add, we did try to fit a 3 and 1/2 year old to  an 80" pro 2000 that he loved when we first started his parking lot training, but it just didn't work. We spent three months trying to get him higher in the car, and it just really didn't work and there's nothing more scary than a kid who can't see over the hood.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:42:05 PM by RBurns17 » Logged
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »

LOL, I hear ya, mine started out with 5" of boost under his bottom and 5" behind his back, down to 2" on each now.  Going to feed him more now...  ;-)

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys. My son is a small 7yr old and we scored a 78" car. Fortunately the car has nice pedal adjustments in it, but I need to work the seat to raise him.

My daughter is 13 and small. She can fit in the car, but she has trouble getting in and out. I found another nice 78" car, but was just worried that she could not fit it well.

I agree, you get whats ever out there for a good deal. I dont even think we can afford to put my daughter in right now. Kinda sucks.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »

I went with an 80" car for my 7 yr old with a randy lajoie seat. He has room to grow into it and can move the seat as he grows as well.

Kris Walker
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »

does anyone have a pic of how and what they used to boost their kid up? What about weights? Are they under the seat area?
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »

I've seen people mount their weight in all different places, but we always use the kind you can slide right under the driver. We just used thick padding under the driver, and designed a special firewall pan that was extended out, for behind him. I'll get a pic of it in the morning and post it up.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »

I used Steel Plates as they were cheaper and less toxic than Lead. The sheets I found at a Metal Supplier are about 11x11 inch and maybe 3/8" thick and weigh about 6#-7# each. We mounted them directly under the driver (we have no seat). Then as he got heavier I was able to remove 6# "slices". Now we have no weight under the driver as he is up to 95 lbs or so, we made a small "brick" by cutting up some of the Steel Pieces and have moved it up to the front left wheel area now. It is only about a 5# brick.

Hope this helps, it worked ok for us.
.25DUDE
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

BUY THE DRIVER  A CAR THAT FITS . DONT BUY A LARGER CAR AND HOPE THEY GROW INTO IT . WHEN THE CHILD GROWS SELL THAT CAR AND BUY A LARGER ONE
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »

That would be the preferred method, however, the reality is that some of us have to buy what we can afford and do not have money to buy and sell cars as the child grows.  Then you loose money selling because most of the time when you buy a car you go through it fixing and upgrading items like bearings, shocks etc and you loose that and have to start over if you sell it.

.25DUDE
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »

Its hard for me to believe you got a 6 year old child a car and expect him or her to drive that same car until they are 14 or 15 . Be SAFE put your child in a car that fits even if it means loose 5 or 6 hundred dollars every 2 to 3 years . You can look at it this way  if you buy a car now for 3000.00 drive it for 8 years you will have a 500.00 dollar car . Keep an updated car that fits and loose 300.00 a year it ends up close to the same money but your child has a lot safer car and a lot better car the whole time
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

A 78" car will work for MOST drivers 5 years and up and will last a long time.  A 80" car will work for MOST drivers 7-8 years old and will last their career.

My son started in an 80" car at 8 and did excellent, lead points and finished 2nd due to getting crashed out the final race of the year.  Still in the same car today and will retire from the same car, Always safe and handled the car well.  Would I put my 5 year old in it, NO, my other 8 year old, YES.

It’s easy for you to say lose 500 here and there but you have to remember, MANY of the families cannot afford to lose anything and if they can get a 3000-4000 car for 2500, they should jump on it IF they can make it work.

Not everyone has money and some must live within their means.  The price of the car they find could be a deciding factor if the kid even gets into the sport or not.

Its always important to remember to keep everyone's best interest in mind, not those financially able or capable, everyone, even us little people.

RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

Claiming that a kid is less safe in a larger car is for the most part untrue. Car size has little to nothing to do with safety. If the kid can see properly, and is properly secured, it doesn't matter how big the car is. In our experience, our drivers seem to feel the hit less in the big car no matter what size they are.

I wouldn't sway someone from the sport by saying they are being a cheapskate because they are being fiscally responsible, because in reality, if you take away all of us who find the bargains and have a limited budget, you wouldn't have anyone to race against.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: