USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:47:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New driver / team  (Read 27240 times)
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

On practice days, I use our two way radios that we use for hunting and such.

For new drivers, disconnect the throttle and idle it up just enough so the car doesnt stall on the track and let them get comfortable with handling the car and track.

Then you can idle it up a little more until you feel that he is ready for throttle control and then start with only 1/4 the throttle available and work your way up slow from there.

I too had a driver freeze after months of talking about letting off the gas and using the brake and kill switch should they ever get scared.  Hit the gas, car got loose and he froze, full throttle into the wall.

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »

thanks guys.

We have A main throttle linkage. When he went out, I had the throttle stop screwed all the way in. It only let the throttle move slightly, but it was still way too fast. Even though its very close to the idle speed I set him up on the track later that was nice and slow. I put the car on the stand and hooked up the tach. It idles at 1k and when you gently press the throttle it goes to 2400rpm if you fully throttle it, it only goes to 2800 rpm. When you completely let go of the throttle when you hold it at 2400 or 2800 it takes about 1-2 minutes to have the engine drop back down to 1000. There seems to be VERY little range between idle and full throttle. Does any of this make sence? I am just thinking it must be becuase there is no load on the engine???

Also, what RPM should my engine be set at to idle?
gadams
Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »

i too went through what you are going through my son practiced the car with out the gas peddle  in for a couple weeks, then when we put it in he did fine for a couple sessions then said he was done, he wanted to sell the car. I talked him out of that and now he is in junior honda. As far as rpm at idle our motor idles best around 1800 to 1900 rpm full throttle we are turning 5200 to 5400 at buckeye, that is with a blue plate in the car. If there is anything else i can help you out with drop me a line.
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

is this RPM on the stand with no load or on the track with a load.
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »

My novice grandson ran at Orange Show also. Great track; really clean. I Bought him a used 80" that was supposed to be really hot. I put a Ziggy's 120 and set it up the hardware to racing spec's; it handled really great. I set the throttle at 1/2 range and it still turned sub 7's. So I put a kill switch in it. I had to use it once. I gave it to his mother and she never used it. You won't need one; but they are cool. Everything since then has gone south. Anybody out there want to buy a used 80" Storm that's really hot with a kill switch.
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »

went to the first novice training and all I can say is thank god!!! He did sooooo much better. We were very relieved. The car still does not like to drop down to idle though very good. Its kinda wierd. His car is very fast and no one could believe how fast it was going with that restrictor plate. I sure hope everything is legal in that motor Smiley
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »

I think its just a really fast track that was constructed correctly. My 120 ran remarkably well too.Glad to hear you're up and going.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »

He needs to take it slow & gradually build up to max speed for whatever plate he's running. If you're not sure how to do this, ask a veteran at the track. I'd say to spread this out over several sessions, so he gets comfortable with the current speed before allowing him to go faster. He needs to get a feel for how to handle the car (with your baseline setup) during this staggered speed procedure, otherwise he'll be off into the wall/spinning/flipping & probably freaked to the core.

Here's another thing: one of our race mates shared that when they started out, they pulled off stuff from the car that could easily get damaged, then flipped the car (tail to nose) with the driver strappped in (in their yard). This showed him 1) what it would feel like (because it will usually happen eventually), & 2) that he'd be okay even though it may feel a bit weird.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »

That sounds like really smart person that told you that. Wink  I still say that is why AJ wasn't freaked out at all over his barrel roll/end over end roll last month.  I think every handler should do it!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
nashjr13
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 01:24:46 AM »

JR flipped the car on Braden's very 1st session.  I have to say I was shocked at first, yet I felt it was a great training technique!!!

Larry Nash
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

Like the idea, can’t wait to see what the neighbors think...  LOL

racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »

That sounds like really smart person that told you that. Wink  I still say that is why AJ wasn't freaked out at all over his barrel roll/end over end roll last month.  I think every handler should do it!

Absolutely! I learn tons of stuff from the fabulous Freitas boys! Wink

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »

Like the idea, can’t wait to see what the neighbors think...  LOL

Oh poo - who cares about the neighbors. Just tell 'em to get their autographs free while they can. LOL!

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »

Here is the beast! Still needs a bit of work, but its getting REAL close!! Any big problems stand out to you guys here??

Cool paint job. Very eye-catching.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 01:10:11 PM »

I rolled AJ's car every way imaginable in the yard before he drove it the first time.  I removed the engine, but had everything else in the car as it would have been on race day.  We also had him in his full gear as well.  I sat and discussed accidents with him and talked to him about how his car and seat will protect him.  Then without warning I grabbed to front bumper and flipped the car over backwards.  Needless to say he was shocked for a second.  Then while upside down I talked to him about the car and seat protecting him again.  In the end, I rolled it over sideways, over the front and each time we discussed how it felt and if it scared him.

I finally decided it was enough when he told me; "Dad, my "boys" are starting to hurt a little from this belt!"  Maybe for that exercise I could have left the 5th belt off. Wink

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: