USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New driver / team  (Read 27248 times)
QSL
Rookie

« on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

We finally purchased a nice 2007 bullrider for our 7yr old. It was a used car that we scored in Phoenix (we live in CA). My son is a novice and we have not done this before but really look forward to it. I am stripping down the car and doing a cleanup and resto. That way he can be the one to mess it up!!  Cheesy
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

Good Luck & HAVE FUN!!!

RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »

Well, a 2007 Bullrider is a very nice car to start out with. The biggest thing with QM racing is that it's for fun. Sometimes even the best forget that. Have fun, because that's what the sport is all about.
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »

I thought it was a nice ride. It has advanced shocks and a a-main 120 in it. Good solid car. Probably much more then he needs starting out, but I like to try and do things right.

We are 100% into it for the fun. In the end, all it is, is a chance for your kid to drive a cool go cart for a day racing against other kids. Its as simple as that. If you take it any further then that, then i suspect it just would not be fun anymore... Not saying we dont want some wins, but at the end of the day, it really does not matter. I have work to stress about, dont need our hobbies to stress me out too Smiley
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

OSL, what track will you be racing at?

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »

Orange show in southern california. Smiley
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

OSL I sent you a Private Message.
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Here is the beast! Still needs a bit of work, but its getting REAL close!! Any big problems stand out to you guys here??
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

engine shot
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »

Went out for the first time saturday... well... we set the throttle stop to half way and he was running the novice plate. He went out into the track and had it floored the whole time. The car started to go faster and faster and you could tell he was out of control. He went straight into the wall on lap 4. Fortunately he was OK. We have soft barriers at the track and those were a real blessing!! It scared him and scared me even more. After that, we disconnected the throttle and just set it to idle around the track. He was great with that. But I had to talk to him to get him to drive. All day he was on edge and did not want to be there. Crying everytime I spoke to him. It was a real rough day for son and DAD! Yesterday, he felt much better and was ready to go back out. We are going to give it another go this weekend. He has never really driven anything in his life and I think that is the biggest challenge. We are going to take him to a kiddie go cart track tonight so he can get a feel for throttle.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »

OSL,
We will be out this weekend, I believe Saturday for an afternoon/evening sorting out session.

I can offer you no advice on your situation as mine is totally different and I never went through what you are dealing with. My son was 12 when we started and that is a whole different world than a young one.

For some perspective my son hops out of the car mildly disgusted and says "Dad, you know those changes you made....they were wrong!".. Wink

In a few weeks he is going out to Irwindale to run a few laps in a Legend car. 130hp and 1300 pounds!

-Eric
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »

The big problem was that he just would not let off the throttle and he was not ready to go that speed. I think he froze up. The worst feeling in the world is seeing your kid out there in a car that he is not controlling and you cant do anything about it. I will feel much better when he goes back out with throttle control. I dont like sending him around the track either with it already set. It was probably my fault for not making it perfectly clear for the 200th time to let off the gas to slow the car down... Sad
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »

Buy a Raceceiver .  You can use it with any 2 way radio.  The $100 investment will save you thousands in car repair.  That way you can coach him wil he is driving instead of bringing it up after he comes in. 
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »

where is a good place to get them?
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »

You can buy them online from USAC.  It has the USAC channel pre programmed but you can set it to any frequency you might need.  They take standard I-pod style earphones. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: