USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:30:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Post race carb flush - Dragon spec fuel  (Read 11659 times)
BRE
Rookie

« on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

Just a reminder to remember to flush your engines with regular gas station pump gas. If you have been racing in the 4 so far USAC Gen Next races that you have been using the Dragon Fuel make sure you flush this out of your carb and engines. This fuel contains 10% Ethanol and will plug your main and idle jets and your needle and seat in your carb. I think after about 4 to 5 weeks of this fuel sitting in the carb is enough time to start plugging causing problems. After about 2 to 3 weeks you might not have a problem, but its best to flush it out as soon as possible.

Thanks
Steve
GB3
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »

Thanks Steve! I like to use a mixture of gas and Marvel Mystery Oil in all of my engines when they'll be sitting awhile .
Double-D
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »

If we are going to use a spec fuel, why are we using fuel with an ethanol blend.  It doesn't make much sense, especially when I have heard numerous complaints about the fuel gumming up carbs.  these are race cars and not street legal vehicles, which are designed from the factory to use ethanol blended fuels.  This is just asking for trouble and is not neccesary.
msl1973
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:19:31 AM »

now we know why they changed the Jet rule
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »

What Steve gave is a very good tech tip that everyone should be doing anyhow. Almost all pump gas out there has a blend of ethanol whether small or large. The crap that settles in the carbs is by product crap that refineries are allowed to put into gasoline, the ethanol can clean and suspend some of this crap and then when the fuel evaporates after sitting over an extended time the deposits are left in some critical areas in your carb. Has nothing to do with the carb jet rule or anything else.     
Kevin
Administrator
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »

thanks Steve for the tips and as Jeff said this should be routine maintenance that is done regularly regardless of what fuel your using.

the spec fuel used the last 3 seasons has worked out great and helped maintain a level playing field across the board not to mention the ease of not having to get a truck/trailer/RV into a off the beaten path gas station
Double-D
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »

Steve and Jeff, I could not agree more, proper care and maintenance should be performed on all carbs, and all fuels will subject the fuel system to dirt and buildup.  However, there are thousands of pages of documentation proving that ethanol blends are hard on fuel systems that are not specifically designed for its use.  I am not sure if dragon is using a higher blend than most pump gas, which laws are different from state to state (i believe that once it reaches 10% it has to be labeled so).  Dragon fuels is certainly a reputable supplier and I am VERY thankful for USAC having a spec fuel at the track (yes, i have struggled with a class-A motorhome and trailer trying to get into a small station many times).  I am just wondering if Dragon could supply non-blended fuel at our events, as the current fuel does seem to be causing more plugging than most of the track fuels, based on the (admittedly limited) feedback I have heard.  Since Steve specifically mentioned them by name, I am assuming he has heard similar feedback as well.
Griffin Brown Racing
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »

I have always drained the Dragon fuel from our motors and flushed with pump gas,and have still had problems with the carb pluging up,costing us good results,most resent Senior Animal at MCQMRA! And a couple times last yr!
I dont think most people want to take there carb apart and clean after each race!
I need a better solution or plan,or different fuel!! I have heard of a lot of problems with the Animal carbs pluging up on the Dragon fuel.
Thanks for any help!!!

Scott Brown

--------------------sponsors----------------------------------
Baker Racing Engines
Orr Motorsports (for all your motorsports needs)
Klotz Lubricants
Covington Coney's
Moore @ Associates
Brute Power Pipes ---www.brutepipes.com
One Stop Auto
Whitley Welding & Fabricating
outlawqmracer
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:39 AM »

This is a problem that has plagued our World Formula for the past few seasons.  We just recently figured this out and we learned THE HARD WAY.  While I do not want to divulge many speed secrets where now my driver is no longer disadvantaged, This one goes out to those awesomely hard-working USAC officials who for the past few years have pushed my hard to start .25 Midget at the Gen Next Tour events.  Thank-You!  Hopefully this makes your jobs much easier.

For the handlers as well, because it really stinks to travel a thousand miles and your car not start or run well please realize that all fuel gums up these carbs so the only option is to get rid of ALL the fuel remaining in the system.

At the end of each raceday....
1)  Turn the fuel off at the tank
2)  Run the motor until it runs out of gas
3)  Drain the carb bowl
4)  Spray some carb cleaner in the carb dump tubes

No more carb clogs

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: