USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Right rear NY1 mounting help  (Read 7672 times)
lrhracing
Rookie

« on: March 24, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »

I am having a hard time getting both sides of the tire to seat. I threw 50+ psi at it and only one side seats completely. I'm mounting on a 8.5 inch rim. Any suggestions? I think I have done everything but throw the kitchen sink at it.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »

yikes. are you using a can or a band?
JRandall
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

Make sure you are putting tire in a metal band and don't be afraid to hit it with 80 psi.  I use a little windex on the rim and it should pop right on..
lrhracing
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

I have a "homemade" tire band (sheet metal tube, ratchet straps), which helped in mounting the other 3 tires. I was a bit concerned about pushing the 60 psi limit. I guess I just needed some reassurance that I can hit it with 80 psi. My poor little compressor won't get the tire up to 80, but I will bring it to a buddy's house and have him use his big one on it this week. Thanks for the feedback!
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »

I have always had good luck by taking the valve core out of the rim and not using an air chuck on your air line.

Kris Walker
Ezone
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

I have also used simple hand soap on the rim.  Something slippery.  Sometimes windex is enough -- sometimes not.  Hand soap -- or dish soap applied to the rim works well.
lrhracing
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice. For once Tim Allen's more power theory didn't turn around and bite me! Looks as though I just needed a bigger compressor (and a little courage). Took out the valve core and pumped it up to 75 psi before both sides popped! Used my homemade ring and had zero issues. This rookie dad can rest a little easier knowing I have tackled one more obstacle in this gigantic learning curve. Man is there a lot I hadn't accounted for. So far its been enjoyable though. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: